BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a boat and keep it in Tuckerton. This is my first Striper season on the boat. Can anyone reveal a good place to fish for Stripers? Also, peanut bunker are all over the place at my marina. I catch 50 of them at a time in my cast net. Has anyone had success with them as live bait, or do Stripers prefer adult bunker?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Think clams. It will not be long now. Just watch the flocks of boats at obsorb as much as you can. Good luck.

[ 09-22-2005, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: A Frayed Knot ]

·
Registered
790 Posts
Tucker..
Don't know which marina you slip at... but I am usually around my boat any afternoon on the weekends... stop down and I'll see if I could help you out... or give a call and I'll tell you when I'll be around.... never have a problem here helping out the newbies....

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
There are atleast ten different ways for you to catch stripers in the fall out of Tuckerton.

If you want to live bait, the normal game plan is to fish in the channels, and float towards the inlet on the outgoing tide at night. As for spots..... anywhere it looks fishy :D

And if you can see this your in a good spot...

[ 09-15-2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Re-Bait ]

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by Re-Bait:

And if you can see this your in a good spot...
Hey that spot looks familiar.
;)

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Tucker,

My first 2 years at G.B. I couldn't catch a striper. Then I went to Barn 101 fish school. I anchor and chum w/clams, drift w/ eels. I've had most success with anchoring and using clams on a fish finder rig. Keep your eyes open. See what p's are using for bait and rigs, and remember where their spot is. :D

Johnny d

·
Registered
180 Posts
I come out of Chestnut Neck up the Mullica. That picture of the beat-up building is an old bunker processing plant we affectionately call the "Stink House" - and you would know why if you ever caught a whiff of a plant in operation. On the way out to the ocean, you can anchor up at night near the sod banks and use bunker to nab a bass of two, or drift the inlet around dawn or just before dusk. The closer you can get to the sand bar, the better but don't risk grounding your boat. Out going tides in the inlet are easiest to drift along the edges of the channels. Some days you can do no wrong and other days you can't catch a cold. We've also caught one or two fish in front of Brigantine when all else fails. I don't think I'm allowed to give exact locations on this site but there are plenty of sod banks inside and a ton of sand bars and drop offs along the beaches. If you get out infront of LBI keep an eye out for fish trapping schools of bunker between jetties right up against the beach. Cast a weighted treble hook to snag a bait and let it fall below the school and hold on. You may only catch a large shark but the fight is still fun.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by Re-Bait:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by A Frayed Knot:
Hey that spot looks familiar .
"Shutup and FISH." </font>[/QUOTE]Now that was funny.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Question for you guys...the boat I fish on is kept in Beach Haven West. We can run north or south easily. Which is more productive for stripers??? We normally go north for weakies and stripers because that's where my buddy knows since he used to keep the boat in Waretown.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Originally posted by kmq102:
Question for you guys...the boat I fish on is kept in Beach Haven West. We can run north or south easily. Which is more productive for stripers??? We normally go north for weakies and stripers because that's where my buddy knows since he used to keep the boat in Waretown.
I fished a lot up that way and a little down in LE. I've caught a lot of Stripers north. Only in the morning or late in the afternoon.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I've caught many bass on peanuts, one guy I fish with puts 2 on a hook and it works!!! Check out all the feeder crees on your way out and there are many small rips on the way out look for the disturbed water. I'm out there frequently although I now come from the Great Bay side. I use the ramp at Rand's, it's closer to the ocean and I use less fuel that way. Give a shout on channel 9 for Vitalsigns. If I'm out I'll answer.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Anchoring in a spot that is about 8 feet of water and on the calm side of breakers of the LE Inlet bars. Fish in or out going tide has worked for me, using fresh clams. Warning, the word calm is a relative term when working a breaker line, so caution and a stomach for being bounced around is required.

Dusk/dark, drifting using live eels. Use depth finder to find holes and lumps, or look for rips and pockets.

For calmer waters, Grassy channel provides results as well anchoring with clam. Just be prepared to deal with a ton of grass.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Hey Ted Shhhhhhhhhh.....!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Tucker everything posted here is 110% correct. For instance, LE is and ISN'T a consistent place to fish!!!! IT DEPENDS HOW YOU'RE FISHING. :eek: Fiqure out how you want to go at it and put your time in.

It does take hundreds of hours to hone a few techniques, and the average joe would rather tell you where his ATM card is and the PIN, before he gives you, when, where, and how of his latest striper hole. (BTW these fisherman are revealing exactly what you could do)Your job is to shadow the catchers and copy what they are doing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.