BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I booked a trip on Wednesday with Captain Smiley for me and the 2 boys. This is just North of Myrtle Beach. We will be targeting Red Drum and Sea Trout, aka Weakfish:D Anyway my Boys have been going through withdraw since Striper season has ended! I'll post back with the report:)
So far the Weather has been 70 and Sunny, a bit breezy though:(

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Should be able to hit the trout pretty good. Don't know about right now, but most of the winter they were thick in the deep holes in the ICW and nice size too. These are not weakfish though, but speckled trout aka winter trout.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any Drum around?

What part of SC do you fish? Are there any drum around? It is supposed to get real cold tonight:confused: Then the rest of the week it will be mid 70's. I cant wait to just get back on the water:D

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Most fishing I do is from Garden City to Murrells Inlet down to Pawleys Island. Not sure which drum you are referring to, but both are around now. The spottail (red) have been around all winter but are starting to scatter more from their winter schools as the water is warming up. They'll be in the creeks mixed with trout. Black drum are moving in especially around hard bottoms, oyster bars, jetties, etc. Fish with a whole fresh shrimp on the bottom. Flounder are slowly starting to filter in also. Nothing is biting real well yet, but there are fish to be had.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

We were down visiting a friend in Pawley's Island today. I stopped off and ate in Murells Inlet. What an awesome place:) . I will be fishing on a 23' Carolina Boat CC in the back bay / rivers. I think the Captain said we will be targeting Red Drum along with Spotted Trout. I can't wait just to get back out on the water. I'll post back with the report:D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very Windy

Well we fished for four hours (1/2 day charter) from 8 - 12. We caught 1 speckled trout about 2 pounds. What a beauty, it put a Big smile on my 7 year olds face:D That was it for the day:( The wind gods were stalking us. It blew a steady 20-25 all day.
We fished in the back of little river, up creeks for drum and shot out to Little River Inlet. These back bays remind me of back home!
The charter was $300.00 which wasn't to bad. I paid $500 last year in Key West for 4 hours of reef fishing. With the price of gas these days all the prices are up. I can respect that, the only one getting Richer is the Oil Man!!
I do recommend Patrick aka "Captain Smiley". He is very knowledgeable of the area and is a great Captain. Even though we did not catch alot of fish, he tried hard for us and treated us like "family". The next time I come down here I would certainly look him up.
I leave tomorrow for the dreaded 10 hour drive home. Can't wait till the Stripers start running:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts