BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just talked to a fellow angler who told me that livelining hearing in the delaware was going to be illegal this year. That hearing were know longer considered a baitfish and now are a gamefish. Did anyone hear about this and is it true?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The anticipated reduction in the daily creel limit for combines "river herring" species was signed yesterday by the Secretary of DNREC. The newly approved regulation reduces the recreational possession limit from 25 herring to a DAILY CREEL LIMIT of 10 herring per day. The old "possession" limit allowed fishermen to catch and transport multiple, 25-fish possision limits per day, making enforcement nearly impossible. The new regs impose a total daily limit of just 10 fish. The change was made in response to coast-wide declines in river herring populations. Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and North Carolina have completely shut down both commercial and recreational herring fishing, and the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission is currently working on a fisheries management plan for river herring.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Curious

What do you mean by the 25 limit,was hard to enforce ? Was that part of the argument to lower it to 10 ? I am just curious, I have seen so few people netting/catching, over the years, that the 25 to 10 surprises me ?
Blackfinjerry

·
Registered
445 Posts
:confused: Sources gents? I have read both NJ and PA's released digests, they both say limit is 35 per person. They did add that it only allowed for personal use and illegal to sell them.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The state of NJ emailed me 10 days ago in response to an article coming out in The Fisherman Magazine soon. At the time, this was what they emailed me per regulations:

Freshwater Delaware River : Alewife (Anadromous and landlocked forms) and Blueback herring is open year round, no minimum length, 35 combined per day. The taking of Hickory shad is prohibited. American shad is open year round, no minimum length, 6 per day.

All other NJ freshwater : Alewife (Anadromous and landlocked forms) and Blueback herring is open year round (exception: may not be taken in trout stocked waters from March 19 to June 15), no minimum length, 35 combined per day.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Guatemala Dave said:
It looks like it may be the last year I am able to sell HERRING, live or fresh.

You sell live herring ? If so , ill see you soon .

·
Registered
108 Posts
blackfinjerry said:
What do you mean by the 25 limit,was hard to enforce ? Was that part of the argument to lower it to 10 ? I am just curious, I have seen so few people netting/catching, over the years, that the 25 to 10 surprises me ?
Blackfinjerry
That was a quote from DNREC. not my words.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The 2007 De. law was a 25 at a time,which meant you could catch 25 take them home,then go back and catch 25 more,as many times as you wanted in 24hr's,then start over the next day....Hard to inforce I guess so..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts