BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your best bet for live lining bunker, I came across some nice schools this weekend and foul hooked them with a large weighted treble hook through the back and set them out to swim. Every time I got a taker I would end up with half a bunker. Must have been a shark or large blue, but just wondering were to hook these things.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I snag the bunker with the weighted treble, bring it aboard to check its condition (if snagged in a vital area I put it on ice for chuncking) then hook it on a big circle hook through the eyes, back or tail depending on where I want the bunker to be in the water column. I've tried the snagging and droping to the bottom thing, and I know some guys swear by it, but I like to re-rig the bunker on the single hook and fish finder rig.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im usually always on a boat, in about 8 to 15 feet of water is where Ive been finding bunker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I snag them also and bring them on board, put on a different rod(I always keep a spinning rod with a treble on just in case I came across bunker) with a single hook and fish finder. But I cut them on the back at dorsal so they are bleeding nice and can't swim as well. Caught a 53.5 lber this way last year off beach. Biggest this year has been about 35-38#'s. If you can get it down below the school on top, it ususlly brings success. Tight Lines!!! Ed

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice I know those big bass are hanging out under those bunker and want to get into one.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Goofyfoot
Never attempted off a boat... Had success off the jetties... Bunker, herring, mullet even minnows...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had much better results with the head rather than a live bunker.The live ones seem to always get away from the bass for me.It makes for a cool visuall sight but very disappointing time when they give up on it for another slower one[usually not mine].good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts