BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
The old fashioned wood slat minnow box that floats on the water. Most of the boat rental places still use them. Make one from white cedar and brass screws and it will last forever. Can also make it so you can put a lock on it....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Now that I have my own dock what is the best way to keep live minnows. Not interested in the yellow floating pails. Otters destroy them.
The big problem I have seen is the otters who will break the plastic minnow keepers latch to steal the minnows. The wood slat type works pretty good. I have built my own keeper with galvanized screening and a azek frame. Its lasted for years but I replace the screen every year. I had to put a latch on it because the otters figured out how to turn it over and shake it until the door opened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now that I have my own dock what is the best way to keep live minnows. Not interested in the yellow floating pails. Otters destroy them.
I use 500 lb mono and fed it through the holes in the lid and then crimped a loop on either end. I run one loop through the other and then hook it in back to a stainless steel screw. I have been doing this for 2 years and the otters have not figured it out or bit through it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use 500 lb mono and fed it through the holes in the lid and then crimped a loop on either end. I run one loop through the other and then hook it in back to a stainless steel screw. I have been doing this for 2 years and the otters have not figured it out or bit through it.
I did the same thing and it worked for a while and then they pushed so hard on the door that it snapped at the spring hinge. I was able to put it back together but these animals are relentless.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I will stick with what I am currently doing. I take a Gee minnow trap and plug the ends with rubber corks. Suspend the trap off my dock which allows decent water flow through the trap. Otters never bother it. Minnows stay alive well. Only problem is keeping the trap clean from algae and barnacles etc. Need to buy a new one every other year as they eventually rust out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts