BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals,
I just had to throw this out there , it seems to me that the closure of the Horseshoe Crab harvesting on this side of Delaware Bay is a joke , especially for the reasons the State has put forth , the Red Knots need to eat their eggs and low numbers of Horseshoe Crabs in general ,I live in the Sunray Beach section of Del Haven in one of the closed Beach areas, If the State and all of their birding friends were so concerned about increasing the Horseshoe Crab Stock then they should be trying to form some volunteer groups comprised of the commercials who want to use the crabs as bait and the birders who like to watch the Red Knots , their duties would be to comb the closed beaches every morning especially after a night of rough bay surf and pick up every Crab that has been left high and dry and overturned left to be baked by the Sun and picked apart alive by the big Gulls , I know I shouldn`t but I still enter the beach and you know what I dont see any Red Knots just a Horseshoe Crab grave yard with disabled crabs baking away, it is nothing to walk a 100 yards and return 150 weak crabs back to the waters edge, at least when people can enter the beach for a walk anyone who values all life usally return the disabled crabs to the water.
I cant wait until they re-open the beaches, it usally stinks so bad from all the dead crabs that you dont even want to stroll along the beach through the graveyard. Its just my opinion , I just think the State should come up with a better plan especially since the guys on the other side of the bay still get to harvest the crabs and here we just let them die while the State cries about no harvesting and increasing the stocks, what a joke !!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ 05-21-2006, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Fish Bandit ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Fish Bandit.....I hear ya, I'm in the same predicament a little further North of you.

I think the birds & crabs need some protection since you can't replace a species once the numbers fall to a certain level.....BUT, I don't understand why I can't wade out and fish but these knucklehead birders can wander the beach with binoculars and cameras on tripods???

By the way, I think it's natural for those of us in the area to turn the crabs over or put them back in the water when we come across them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snicols,
I dont have the answer to this problem it just seems senseless when the state cries out about declining numbers but we just let them die by the thousands along the Delaware Bay beaches, if they were dolphins everyone would be up in arms.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Are these horseshoe crabs that have reached the end of their lifespan.....sort of like salmon dying after a spawn? I don't know the answer to this question and always wondered?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FishingLuhrs,
I dont believe so , because they are of all sizes , small to large

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
No waves turn them over and leaves them high and dry when the water goes out.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I tried to warn ya. This is just the beginning !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts