BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found myself wide awake at 4:30 AM, and after a half hour of tossing and turning, I figured my time would be better spent fishing before work than watching TV. A look out the window, and I saw dry pavement, so I figured it hadn't rained much overnight and I might have a small window. I was worried that it was a stupid call because after getting ready and rigged up in the garage, the skies opened up big time. I just said eff it and got in the car anyway. The rain diminished to a drizzle by the time I arrived at a local stream. I started at a hole that I fished with my son on Sunday. We actually banged them up pretty good that day, when I was only hoping for some sunnies or whatever would keep a 6 year old happy (Mission accomplished, as he netted trout and bass and rock bass and tadpoles and poliwogs). I think I got 6 on Sunday on the bank, no waders, tossing magnets on a float for him to reel in, so I figured I could do well with the fly rod provided it wasn't too muddy. Visibility wasn't great, but the fish seemed to find my caddis nymphs without much problem. Still pretty dark when the first few came to hand.

After getting a couple with the indicator, I couldn't buy another hit until I started high sticking deep with a short line. They were nice healthy fish and mostly browns in the 11-12 inch range. Another on the caddis as the clouds moved out for a while and it brightened a bit:

I moved up to another hole and only caught bass and sunnies in the slack edges around the runs, so I moved down to another hole and started searching with a streamer. Only found one little bow that attacked it on a short line and wore half of the slump buster on his face.

After that I only caught little bass and sunnies in this hole, and I couldn't get any love on a bass popper due to the cold water and muddy water, so I tied another caddis on and went back to the honey hole to end on a high note. I managed two more, one decent brownie that was spared a photoshoot and a nicely colored rainbow. I ended the morning with at least 8 trout and a bunch of other fish, and I got to work only a couple hours late. Not a bad morning.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice work! I've been hitting my local ATW 2-3 times a week before work and have been doing very well. With the water temps still in the low to mid 50s in my neck of the woods, stockie season could stretch well into the summer... hopefully.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work! I've been hitting my local ATW 2-3 times a week before work and have been doing very well. With the water temps still in the low to mid 50s in my neck of the woods, stockie season could stretch well into the summer... hopefully.
Yes, the temp is holding my way around 59. The sunfish were just starting to get on beds and are tight with eggs, so there will be trout to be had for a while. Glad you're getting out during the week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts