BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
how many of you guys take logs. i found one that i printed off the internet im going to try to start using them this year. do they help any of you?

They will help with seasonal patterns, if you keep a detailed report on your outings. Water temp, air temp, Barometric pressure, cloud cover, wind direction & speed, cover fished, baitfish patterns , and for me on the Upper Chesapeake Rivers and Flats, tides.

You have to be really dedicated to do it. Not something that will help much if you are haphazard with the actual logging of your info.

I have some going back to the early 80's on the Flats and Rivers, some patterns still hold, others have changed with the enviormental changes.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I just use reports I post, pictures, memory, and knowledge to serve as my guide as to what I'll do a certain time of year, or a specific day.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I don't really use logs because I will start over-analyzing and possibly make some mistakes by sticking with one pattern because "it worked last year). For me the most important thing is water temperature and wind direction. Water temp during certain times of the year will make me fish in a certain patter.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
They're a Good Idea

I keep a trip log on my boat. Date, time, GPS, tide , wind, weather, water temp, bait, depth. I also log fuel used but I get 6 or 7 trips between fuel stops. I also keep a separate log sheet that's just for fish caught and that is usually by memory during the ride back it's generally accurate. BTW I use ring binders they hold up well and I just remove the pages and but them in a envelope and file by year. It's handy to compare previous years to what's happening now. A mystery of life question,"Why is it nice on the way out and snotty back in on almost every trip?"

·
Registered
238 Posts
They will help with seasonal patterns, if you keep a detailed report on your outings. Water temp, air temp, Barometric pressure, cloud cover, wind direction & speed, cover fished, baitfish patterns , and for me on the Upper Chesapeake Rivers and Flats, tides.

You have to be really dedicated to do it. Not something that will help much if you are haphazard with the actual logging of your info.

I have some going back to the early 80's on the Flats and Rivers, some patterns still hold, others have changed with the enviormental changes.
i would love to pick your brain one day BC:bow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.