BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well its been a while since Ive went fishing due to my wife and I seperating which left me with the house and all the bills. On top of getting laidoff for 3 months I just couldnt aford to put the boat in the water this year let alone do any fishin.So while I was laid off and couldnt fish I looked into a long range trip that Ive been wanting to do forever.I found a 6day aboard the R.P around xmas that would be perfect for me because my wife a kid arent living with me so its not like I had to be around for xmas. I have family in SoCal that offered to pick me up at the airport and take me to the boat the next day,this was perfect!So now I just had to come up with the $$$$. It turned out I got some side work which helped pay for the trip so I booked it,and then turned in my vacation days at work.

So now Im in San Diego ready to board the R.P for the first time and I was geeked out of my mind!!The boat was was way more than I thought it would be,especialy my room having a private head was awesome.Now we left the harbor headed to San Benitos island which is a 27hr run so the first day is just a travel day which gave me time to rig my gear.

I brought all my own gear and most of it was to butterfly jig.I used an Avet MXL with 50lb JB on a MH Trevala,and a Saragoosa 14000 with 50lb Izorline on a ML Trevala.We were mainly fishing for yellowtail and bottom fish which were whitefish, red rock cod ,sheephead , and ling cod ,but we did run into some small yellowfin and someone even caught a 125ld striped marlin.As far as jigs go I was mainly using 200g & 135g Shimano jigs in the sardine color which was deadly! This was my first REAL experence catchin fish this way and it was so fun using the light gear and those jigs that I now know why people love it and now Im one too!!

Since I went myself with noone I didndt get anyone to take vid/pics of me fishin but on the last day I asked the capt to take one so I at least I have one,but I did get a little vid of people catchin some nice yellows.All in all it was the best trip of my life I ended up with just under 300lbs of fish that I had processed at 5Star fish processer and shiped home.

heres the link to the vid:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbuo3t_royal-polaris-yellowtail-fishing-de_sport

and some pics:

San Benitos island

San Pedro another 100+ miles south of San Benitos,this is where we caught the tuna

only pic aboard the boat with a fish and go figure the smallest one I had all trip

these fish are going to 5Star,we ended with a boat limit of yellows which was around 550!!

one of my bigger fish that was on top of the pile

all the fish on the table being processed and the floor are mine

· Registered
753 Posts
nice catch. One of those trips like the 21 days for tuna, wahoo and yellowtails is my DREAM Fishing trip before I die.

Glad you had a great time and sorry to hear about your home situation and job.. Truely sorry to hear that.

Best of luck in 2010 and hope its a year for change and better luck and fortune...

Brian

· Registered
27,060 Posts
Great trip Anthony! You needed it and I am glad you got to go! We got to get out this year.. I still owe you that trip. Let me know if you want to hit the north side for a beer and some fishing stories. AJ

· Registered
7,971 Posts
Seeing the boat brings back old memorys for me

I met Capt Frank LoPreste, many many years ago in San Diego and bought some of his original short stroke Sabre rods for stand-up fishing. These were some of the very first ones made according to Capt Frank that helped pioneer stand-up fishing on the Long Range boats back then. I can remember so well when the boat returned the tuna companies in San Diego were at the dock at Point Loma waiting to trade cases of canned tuna for the frozen ones that anglers had brought back with them.
I went on a few trips myself and remember the nice ride down but a little bouncy coming back North to San Diego at times when those afternoon Westerly’s blew 25 knots plus.
We also fished on a couple of shorter long range trips out of Ensenada, Mexico about 50 miles south of Tijuana and these shorter trip were not too bad overall as they bought the boats from the San Diego fleet when they got newer bigger faster ones and was a significant savings with 3000 peso to the dollar.
Those were the days with such great memories for me and there is no doubt that for many anglers any of these trips would be a trip of a lifetime.

· Banned
1,129 Posts
That first pic brings back some good memories! I worked as a deckhand on the royal polaris back in earlier part of the decade and learned more about tuna fishing on that boat than i have anywhere else.The crew i worked with were some of the best fishermen ever,Capt Frank,capt Roy rose,Billy,eddie,daryl,Johnnie and Steve loomis not too sure how many of them are still on the boat but they were all good guys and taught me alot.Sounds like you had a great trip as i've never seen too many bad trips on that boat.

Oh is the food still really good?

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip. Congrats on the great catch.

I have wanted to do a long range trip for about 15 years. I was booked on a 3 day out of Point Loma in ~2002 and we were blown out. I was out there on business and to meet up with a few West coast friends. Anyway it seems like something allways comes up preventing it. Maybe in 12 years when the kids are in college, I probably wont have the money then...

Brett

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.