BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Good question though and I have to wonder myself. What are your best chances in the back? I would think you might be able to find a resident bass if you get really lucky. Also might be able to find a winter flounder and the spotted hake don't seem to mind the cold water. I caught 3 small (10-12 inch) Spotted hake in the channel out in front of Somers Point last year in late December. I was surprised they were still back there. I was thinking the smaller hake might winter there but this was right at the channels edge and the water was moving fast.

·
Registered
972 Posts
what do you guys think you could catch right now behind our south jersey inlets? Id guess, at this point at least, absolutely nothing with the cold water temps, but with some warmer weather you might be able to find some herring/hickories, sundials, hake... maybe a skate? surely some resident bass around, though catchin em would be tough. In january 07 we were catching plenty of bass, shad and herring under the lights.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Striped Bass or hybrid striped bass

Del.River & tributarites (Trenton Falls to Salem River & Tributaries) March 1 - March 31 &
June 1 - Dec. 31 Del.River & tributarites (upstream of Trenton Falls) March 1 - Dec. 31
Atlantic Ocean (0-3miles from shore) No Closed Season
All other marine waters March 1 - Dec. 31

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
there are fish moving behind ocean city still. My buddy and i drove around our normal haunts the night before our tog trip and saw some life...even heard a few pops. My guess was herring, but it could have been schoolie bass to. Throw shad darts around..if you hook a bass. oops!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.