BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my crew just inherited a 1976 15ft MFG with a 1983 50 hp Mercury OB engine from a Great Uncle in Upstate NY. The boat only seen fresh water lake use in NY and was stored in a barn for years. The OB engine looks like it just came out of the box.

The estate had the boat shipped to his home in NJ.

He wants to fire it up but doesn't have the keys to the 1983 quicksilver controls.

ANY IDEAS WHAT TO DO OR WHERE TO FIND A KEY.?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
On those old control boxes you would have to take the box apart, the key switch has a little label on it with a 3 digit number. Go to any Merc dealer to get the key, that is if they are still available.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Do the number thing they only had about 10 different keys per hp per year. I have 6- 1973 merc 65's and all the keys are the same but 2 and they match each other. No offence Sparks but most people are not good with soddering conections. You do it all the time. The mercs are tough the area is tight and if it has electric choke and power trim I belive it's 7 wires.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Those key switches have soldered connections. Not that hard but there's not much room and most of the colors are faded and hard to see. And some terminals have 2 wires going in them. If you can see the numbers thats the way to go. If you need help give me a call, I also have some parts for the older Merc if you need anything.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If the keys are a buck I would just buy all 10 combos and see which one rather than even take apart a nearly 30 year old control box. Maybe that is an overly cautious approach but you never know what could happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.