BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase first fishing kayak for flounder fishing back bays of Ventnor and Margate. Any suggestions? I am 5'7" 185lbs. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tryin to spend about 800 bucks. Have done alot of research but rather a Little insight from guy who once were new to kayak fishing. Thanks

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
You could lose some weight:D Just kidding! For 800.00 you can buy a really nice Yak, especially used. I got mine at Dicks last Spring for around 500.00 but it's a no name (field and Stream). You could get a used Hobie or Ocean Yak in your budget. If you can test ride a few to get an Idea of what fits you then you would be way ahead of the game but any of the 12 to 15 footers should serve you well....

P.S. I'm 5'8" and 140lbs.......

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you have a few extra bucks look at Hobie and Ocean...Both make
some good fishing yaks....

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Come by after April1st and do some demos. If your in the AC area you are close. At your size you could get away with a realy small kayak that would be easy to transport and be cheap to buy. They are however at the mercy of the wind and tide which can be frustrating sometime depending on conditions. With the way more expensive Hobie, You are the master of the wind and tide.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Test ride is key- go to barrel he is uber knowledgable.Most of us went through a couple of yaks before we figured out that we needed a hobie from the start. Keep your eyes open for used hobies b/c they do pop up from time to time on barn sale, fleabay etc. for slightly higher than the top of your budget ceiling :thumbsup: BTW bellhaven paddlesport is open year round and has test paddles available thier website sez. They r around batsto.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come by after April1st and do some demos. If your in the AC area you are close. At your size you could get away with a realy small kayak that would be easy to transport and be cheap to buy. They are however at the mercy of the wind and tide which can be frustrating sometime depending on conditions. With the way more expensive Hobie, You are the master of the wind and tide.
Appreciate the offer. Still researching and unsure. I will come by and see you early April. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,837 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Try west marine in somers point they can have you a kayak in 2 days. I got a 12' future beach for the back bay thats awsome. The sit ins are good for fishing also if you land a big flatty you get them in the front and they wont jump out.

Hobies are awsome for fishing in the back too. You probably want at least a 12' boat for paddle..ability.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Salt I've been looking there. That one posted is a little out of my range with the drive included but it what I'm looking for. I was looking at the Talon at Dicks for 500 bucks with a lot of extras for first kayak. Hobie the way to go but not in my price range this year. Any more suggestion I'm willing to listen! I will definitely check West Marine this week. Thanks:)

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Towards the end of march jersey paddler has A kayak show somerset nj off 287. I believe it's the weekend of 23rd.

Might be worth a look at gander mtn too.

Cabelas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts