BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking fo a good rod and reel that i can use to jigg and to chunk tuna. with money tigth now the 2 for 1 works for me i just dont want to break the bank.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
You could by a jig setup and chunk with it.

there are alot of good choice depending on your budget.

I have great setups from mid 300 range.
most better setups will run a little more.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
:thumbsup: All set up with the Avet LX and our new rods!!! Psyched!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Tsunami is probably the best " cheap" manufactured rod you will find out there as Terminator mentioned. The one thing I wanted to add to the topic is stay with a higher gear ratio if you plan on jigging. Yes, I agree the Penn will work as mentioned, but look at the lighter, higher ratio reels. Your going to have to decide where the extra money is going to be spent........rod or reel. Terminators combo is a good deal and will work very well. Fish Poisons rod is a good choice if you go with a cheaper, maybe used reel to save money.

Decisions.........decisions.......:D

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a couple of those tsunamis 2 conventionals and 2 spinners. I wanted to test em out and see how they bent so I rigged up 20lbs in my living room and pulled it off the ground and bounced it no problem looked pretty sweet too. Now I just can't wait to hook up in the Chicken

·
Registered
924 Posts
your budget

this is the biggest factor for what you will purchase.your option is used high end but there is not a ton of stuff out there because jiggin stuff is fairly new on the market.the other options are cheaper equipment such as senator penn reels or daiwa sealions and regular stand up rod which can be jigged with no problem.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
this is the biggest factor for what you will purchase.your option is used high end but there is not a ton of stuff out there because jiggin stuff is fairly new on the market.the other options are cheaper equipment such as senator penn reels or daiwa sealions and regular stand up rod which can be jigged with no problem.
I agree. The old way will work. But, if your really into jigging, the new stuff is much lighter, allows the jig to swim a little better too. The days of using heavy rods and reels are gone for me. Unless your shooting up with roids, you can feel the difference at the end of the day. Having a rod made to let the jig pick up more action is also a big plus.

But yes, the way we were doing it 5 years ago will still work as mentioned. Its all about how much you want to spend. :)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Me and the mackattak picked up some sweet Avet/custom setups in AC 2 weeks ago. As you said, nice and light weight with a sweet 6.1 ratio! Dying to try them out!!! I splurged on some nice stand up gear as well with the wife surprisingly backing my decision to spend $$$$$.:thumbsup: I picked up several Avet EXW50W's, and a handful of Avet EXW30W's which are the 2 speed's. Although I have primarily fished Penn in the past, I loved the look and feel of the reels. Just wondering if anyone has used either the 50's, 30's, or the LX jigging reels and if you have any comments on their performance?? My new rig (04 38' luhrs express) is sitting in FL and I am bringing it up in a few weeks and I am having a real hard time with the wait!!! Planning on spending a sh-- load of time on the water this summer!!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
. Although I have primarily fished Penn in the past, I loved the look and feel of the reels. Just wondering if anyone has used either the 50's, 30's, or the LX jigging reels and if you have any comments on their performance??
IMHO, these reels are the best of the Avet line up. I think their larger reels are what put them on the map with many serious fishermen. ( This is just MY 2 cents. Im not looking to argue with anyone. ) :)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sounds good Jersey...:thumbsup: I tell you that they feel real smooth, look sweet! I'm just dying to see how they feel with a fatty on the end of the line!!! I have been primarily on the sandy hook/raritan bay forum last year and met some great guys! Excited to get involved with this group now with the new boat as I see this forum gets fun in the heat of the season, and from what i have been reading lately, pretty funny on the off season as well! lol:D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Great reels, but a tremendous flaw IMO is the lack of a crossbar/frame on top on some models. You have to be extremely careful when trolling that the line doesn't get caught up on the harness lug which seems to happen easily.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Thanks mako... I did see the ones without the crossbar and am happy to say that I have the crossbar on all 12 that I ordered. :thumbsup: I have an 8 day window in 5 weeks to get my new boat from west palm FL up to NJ.. Hoping to break them in on the way up:fighting:

Thanks for the reply!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts