BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a spinning rod that I could cast poppers
And also jig with. Would be used with a saragosa 1800 forblue/yelow fin off nj.
More looking for a middle of the Ed rod nothing high end.
Thanks in advance
Mike

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Thanks in advance
Mike
Most Jigging rods are around 5'3'' while most Popping rods are 7'6'' or bigger..

I think you might be able to cover all bases with a 6'6'' rod..

Customs are an option but I just saw the Van steal which was $249 and in my opinion the perfect rod for what your looking for.. heres a pic of me bending that rod.

and heres a link with the specs.. If you want one just give me a call.
http://www.vanstaal.com/VSrods.htm

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe thanks for the reply. Met with you yesterday.
Was just seeing If anyone is using a rod to do both with.
I might be adding something like that van steal to my order soon
Just want to feel out my options.
Mike

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Joe thanks for the reply. Met with you yesterday.
Was just seeing If anyone is using a rod to do both with.
I might be adding something like that van steal to my order soon
Just want to feel out my options.
Mike

lol.. sorry I should have looked and saw the name..:huh:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I think Joe is right. The 2 are not exactly the same, but you can get away with using a spinning jigging rod with poppers. I have a used/ barely used VS rod at the shop that is half the price of the new sticker price. I only have 1 of them, its not a sale or anything. It was a rod I was using, or should I say planned on trying. The rod is in great condition. Im just looking to make space in my personal rack. I have no use for the rod now.

If your looking to have something built, then you will have a few more options. The 6'6" 250g Bushido Jigging blank can throw poppers. Its not going to throw as far as a popping blank, but it is longer than most other jigging blanks and as I have been saying with the Bushido's, its a longer taper than we are used to seeing. ( 12" longer than the average jigging rod).

I know Joe/Terminator can get you into the Bushido as well, so I am not trying to get in between you guys. I just figured the longer Bushido is an option that we have not had until recently, thanks to the new line of blanks. If Terminator has any problems getting the blank for you to see, I will send him one. It is a nice blank with some added function when compared to a shorter blank. AT the 250g rating, its perfect for our are too! :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just bought a Stingo 6'6" carbon fiber rod to mate to a canyon spinning reel. The Stingo was recommended by Tackle Direct. It is made for reels up to 60 lbs of drag and you can jig or pop with it. Sells for $250 normally but cost at AC show was $225. Haven't tried it yet. You will probably be able to get them even cheaper off TD at the Salt Water Expo in March.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
After reading my answer, I realize it can be a little confusing. Let me try to explain better. I agree with Terminator, regarding the VS rod. They have a unique blend, offering some good action that is needed when looking to throw. Very much like the AT Blanks we have been using for 2-3 years now on many of our custom builds. ( I often feel they are close to the same materials IMO) I do not want it to sound like I am putting the VS Rod down here by any means. The rod I have, is a used one. I have to check the model, to give you the size of the blank.

As Joe mentioned, you want to get a little longer than the average jigging blank at 5'3 - 5'6" to get some more distance. I guess it will all depend on what your looking to spend too. I did not want it to look like I was putting the VS down. Overall, its a good rod, with a unique blend / action. Not a bad choice at all for what you are looking to use it for. Plus.......its a VS!!! :D

When I looked at my post, I confused myself. :nuts:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jersey,
Can you see what the model number on the vs is. Also I read on tackle direct about the stingo. Do you know any thing about them?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Jersey,
Can you see what the model number on the vs is. Also I read on tackle direct about the stingo. Do you know any thing about them?
I will check out the used rod. It may be too small for throwing. I am pretty sure it is going to be a smaller rod. As for the Stingo Rods, I have no knowledge of them at all. I heard they were coming out with a rod, but thats about all I know about them. I am curious to hear from people who have used them as well.

The introduction of carbon, nano technology and the rest of it has really changed the way we look at tackle recently. WE are behind the rest of the world in much of this. I have had requests from International customers for years, just recently learning what is out there and how it works over the last 3 years or so. The rest of the world has been fishing this stuff for a good 5 years already. :eek:

My best advice, do not beat yourself out of getting 1 rod for both, by saying no to a few extra dollars. You will regret it in the end, when your paying much more for a 2nd rod. What your looking to do is exactly why I got involved with the Bushido line up last summer. ( Using our familiar tapers with the new technology) :thumbsup:
Look at the VS rods that Joe has and maybe look into the 6'6" Bushido blank that Joe can do for you as well. Dont buy into all of what you hear from everybody. Your going to get a ton of advice. Take all of it and make your own decision. :)

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Thanks in advance
Mike
there are alot of good choices depending on what a middle price is.

like tom said dont buy into all you hear from everybody.

for a longer than normal jig rod, there are alot of choices.

it has only been a few short years ago that the jig rods got shorter,
over the last many years jig rod were 7 and 8ft.
so if they have a nice tip they can be used for Jig and pop.

we still do alot of 7Ft one piece popping rods.
and guys are jigging with them.

there are shorter blanks less than 7'
but they may not be as good for casting or jigging. as the 7'.
its all personal preferance, and budget.

the more you get to test, the better idea you have of what you need.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a Star Paraflex 7ft SGB70H. I have a saltist 6500h on it and use both jigging and casting if needed. I have had bft to 80lbs on it with no issue and it is a very affordable rod that may cover your needs. I was in the same boat as you and ended up going with this rod and was very pleased.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advise. Joes making me a convention jigging rod now and I wanted to put together a back up that could be thrown. no rush I have a few months

1 - 12 of 12 Posts