BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I guess I'm going to forget the whole motor thing. Anyhow I'd like to get a kayak this year. So how much do you think I need to spend. I figure about 600? I want to fish from it in the back in SNJ. What would you buy? Looking for some advice.

Thanks,
Jeff...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You have lots of choices but here are a few broad recommendations.

1) Buy a sit-on-top style of kayak. They are easier to fish from and much safer for open water fishing than a sit-inside design.

2) Visit a kayak shop that will allow you to test ride any of their kayaks. You really can't know if any kayak is the one until you try it out in the water.

3) Don't worry about a budget just yet. In fact, I would test ride any kayaks you are interested in without knowing the price ahead of time. Don't let $$ decide your level of comfort, unless you absolutely need to. Remember, you will be sitting in a yak for hours at a time.

Lots of other things to consider but this is a start. I would head down to the nearest kayak shop and pick the brains of the workers and check out some yaks for yourself.

PS Kayak fishing is ridiculously fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have lots of choices but here are a few broad recommendations.

1) Buy a sit-on-top style of kayak. They are easier to fish from and much safer for open water fishing than a sit-inside design.

2) Visit a kayak shop that will allow you to test ride any of their kayaks. You really can't know if any kayak is the one until you try it out in the water.

3) Don't worry about a budget just yet. In fact, I would test ride any kayaks you are interested in without knowing the price ahead of time. Don't let $$ decide your level of comfort, unless you absolutely need to. Remember, you will be sitting in a yak for hours at a time.

Lots of other things to consider but this is a start. I would head down to the nearest kayak shop and pick the brains of the workers and check out some yaks for yourself.

PS Kayak fishing is ridiculously fun :thumbsup:

Thanks Moosegate,
Jeff...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Go see sterling harbor wildwood blvd. they will let u test ride and they have a great selection. Although they are closed until the spring

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
If you are looking now, Sterling Harbor is closed for the winter but they have another place, Sportsmans Outpost in WIlliamstown, NJ. They are open Thursday thru Saturday for the winter.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Go see sterling harbor wildwood blvd. they will let u test ride and they have a great selection. Although they are closed until the spring

dont buy anything before talking to cathy and george at sterling harbor.. they are experts and will get you set up

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont buy anything before talking to cathy and george at sterling harbor.. they are experts and will get you set up
I guess I'll go there and try a couple, nothing like a sea trial. I'm there all the time anyhow. I guess you really don't want to cheap out on one. I'd probably just wind up buying another and paying for it twice.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jeff it depends on how much fishing you plan on doing if its just a couple of times a year 600 is fine if more then you will wish you spent more trust me.I have been kayaking for about 15 yrs before i got into the fishing part of it. T rust me there is no way your going to test a kayak for hour, day or a week and know for sure if this yak is for you.Its going to take some time even to know if you like the kayak to know what you wish it had. (and to know what it doesnt have) The bottom line is this its about fishing and you can pedal more then paddling so unless your going for a motor yak get one you can pedal .

P.S. YOU CAN THANK ME LATER

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Jeff it depends on how much fishing you plan on doing if its just a couple of times a year 600 is fine if more then you will wish you spent more trust me.I have been kayaking for about 15 yrs before i got into the fishing part of it. T rust me there is no way your going to test a kayak for hour, day or a week and know for sure if this yak is for you.Its going to take some time even to know if you like the kayak to know what you wish it had. (and to know what it doesnt have) The bottom line is this its about fishing and you can pedal more then paddling so unless your going for a motor yak get one you can pedal .

P.S. YOU CAN THANK ME LATER
Jim, sounds like you learned the hard way:razz:

·
Registered
768 Posts
i started in an RTM disco that I just sold 2 weeks ago. It was $575 and a great paddler. I soon realized when I was drifting for fluke is that I wanted control while I was bucktailing. Control of my drift speed and my direction.

Barrell had a steal of a deal on a leftover and I am now in a hobie adventure.

I can't see me going back to a paddle for fishing ever (at least in the bay/sods or freshwater. Ocean fishing would be a possibility).

To hold water while fishing or tying a knot, to slip a drift, to slow a drift, to tweak the position of your boat while fishing, to counteract wind blowing you off your drift is all what makes me a fan of the hobie pedals. You soon get used to having your legs idling along while fishing at the same time and in a few trips you don't even have to think about it, it's like second nature. Before I drifted along at the mercy of the wind and tide. I caught some fish but I worked hard and was beat and falling asleep on the hour drive home. Now I can fish in less than ideal wind or tides and still have it be an enjoyable experience.

If you have read any of "chunkings" posts about fluke or bass, you know he fishes from a boat and uses his motor a lot to slow, stop or go against the current while fishing. Well, the same can be done with the pedals.

The best advice is to go test some on the water (all types of kayaks). There are plenty of people who like to paddle and fish. Tons actually. There are also plenty of issues or downsides to hobie kayaks that can be pointed out. From my experience fishing between wildwood to LBI in the back is that I fish better with pedals and have more fun doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts