BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bought a rig to get me offshore and was looking for advice on a solid liferaft.. i know money shouldnt be a consideration with this purchase but was looking for the best bang for my buck!
The only one that i seen that seemed reasonable was from Viking. Still more than 2k.

Any advice on a good brand or where to purchase would be appreciated!

Definately the carry on bag type...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
This one will run you about $1629..

Coastal Commander™

The Coastal Commander is Revere Survival Products answer to the safety conscious boater on a budget, requiring service just once every three years!" Constructed with rugged oversized tubes and an automatic inflatable canopy, the Coastal Commander is fitted at each corner of the raft with lead weighted deep water ballast pockets to improve stability in rough sea conditions until search and rescue arrives. The Coastal Commander includes a sophisticated equipment pack including SOLAS pyrotechnics. A Training Video is included with the raft to help you prepare for use in an emergency situation. The Coastal Commander is vacuum packed to add greater protection against the environment and minimize servicing costs. If serviced according to manufacturers specs, the Coastal Commander comes with a 12 year limited warranty.

Rugged Oversized Double Tubes
Automatic Inflatable Canopy
Boarding ladder, righting strap and safety lifelines
Sophisticated Equipment pack including SOLAS pyrotechnics, Signal Mirror, Boiler, Flashlight, Knife, Rescue Ring, Sponges, Paddles, Seasick Tablets, Repair Kit and more!
Training video with footage to help you and your crew prepare for use in an emergency situation
Vacuum packed to add greater protection against environment and minimize service costs
Service interval required just once every three years
12 Year Limited Warranty

Equipment Pack Contains:
3 Red Hand Flares SOLAS
1 Red Parachute Flare SOLAS
Bailer
Signal Mirror
Water Tight Flashlight
Extra Flashlight Batteries
Floating Knife
Rescue Throwing Quoit
Sponges
Paddles
Seasick Tablets
Repair Kit

·
Registered
92 Posts
just purchased an offshore elite revere 4 man, valise for around 2grand. if you search the internet many places are giving miami boat show discounts. it is my understanding that this is the cadillac of offshore rafts and only weighs about 50 lbs, btw msrp is close to 4 g's

·
Registered
48 Posts
I picked up a 6 man revere coastal commander last month for around $1700 (including tax and shipping). It's not the best raft around, but it will still do the trick.. hopefully I never have to test it out.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. Hopefully they keep comming.. Didnt want to pass the 2k mark and was looking for a 6 man.

Fishbone. Will check out the site and terminator, how many persons is the raft in the pic. Looks nice and def reasonable!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:thumbsup:Thanks gunga
Definately what i am looking for... oh... and love the name!!

Interested to see what else comes up in the replies... Dying to fish!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don"t venture very far offshore mostly within 30 miles but still wanted a raft on board in case the worst would happen. The coastal commander is a great raft at a good price but the re cert requires replacing the on board supply's. I went with a 6 man Coastal compact with a canopy and have a ditch bag with water, flares, ebirp, Handheld vhf, etc.The Coastal compact is just that Coastal not intended for days 100 miles offshore. I think I paid around 1500 for it and does not need a re cert for 3 years.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I went to the AC boat show intent on buying a Revere Costal Commander. After comparing the Costal Commander to the Viking RescueYou Costal 6 man it was obvious that the construction of and materials used in the Viking were clearly superior to the Revere. I paid show price of $1650 with free shipping.

My best advice would be buy the best raft you can afford.

Don't forget to factor in the repack costs. If the cheaper raft requires yearly inspections and repacks is really cheaper than a better raft that only requirs a repack every 3 years? Repacks can be expensive.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for replies... Rucus, I definately plan on hitting the canyon so your advice has me veering away from the coastal...

Triton, I was also at the show and felt the same way when comparing the two. I can still get for show price and I think I will be going that route, with the free delivery to my boat down in west palm fl for the ride up:thumbsup:

Thanks for helping... decisions decisions:huh:

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. Hopefully they keep comming.. Didnt want to pass the 2k mark and was looking for a 6 man.

Fishbone. Will check out the site and terminator, how many persons is the raft in the pic. Looks nice and def reasonable!:thumbsup:
6 man.....

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yo Rich!!!!!!!! Joe From terminator tackles awesome guy give him a shout he'll hook you up with what you need :)

Dude they were racing crawfish on the bar at The creek when i was down there last time LMAO

·
Registered
271 Posts
When I was shopping last season, I called the service center in Farmingdale and asked what they recommended based on the condition they see from different manufacturers during service intervals. They said Viking is the best.

With that info, I bought the Viking RescYou Coastal 6-man at last year's AC show. Total price was $1650. Viking sales rep recommended it over their Pro version since my ditch bag already had all of the necessary supplies that the Pro kit contained. He also recommended solar blankets on the web to replace the insulated floor.

Sea Safety - Joe Richter 201-330-3225 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Life rafts are rated for where they are to be used because of the time it might take to find you...buy an epirb!!! And if your going Canyon fishing...it takes along time for the Coast guard to get to you...buy a life raft based on where you will need it the most. I believe Solas is the rating for 100 miles plus

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have the coastal commander and it went for 2 g it cost me almost 1 g to have it repacted last year.they are only good 3 years between recert.as far as the best I will be real happy to see it inflate if I ever need it . that is all I am asking for but a case of beer that gets cold when raft inflates and flat screen playing some desert related movie til I get picked up would be nice touch .

·
Registered
726 Posts
There are many things that should be considered before plunking down $$ on a raft.

Rafts are usually rated for Near Shore (within 10 miles), Coastal (up to 50 miles out), and Offshore (50+). This has to due with the construction of the raft and it's buoyancy in larger seas. Of course in an emergency anything is better than nothing.

Where will you be storing it?? Canister or Valise? On deck or inside. Some of the less expensive rafts weigh a ton and are bulky.

Some are vacuume packed which extends service time (pay now or pay later).

I did a lot of research and for my application (running a 30' CC) I went with the 6-man Winslow Ultra-light Offshore. It's light and compact (weighs like 36 lbs) but costs a bit north of 3k. Got it last year at the Miami boat show.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the coastal commander and it went for 2 g it cost me almost 1 g to have it repacted last year.they are only good 3 years between recert.as far as the best I will be real happy to see it inflate if I ever need it . that is all I am asking for but a case of beer that gets cold when raft inflates and flat screen playing some desert related movie til I get picked up would be nice touch .
Thats the one I want!!!
:D:D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are many things that should be considered before plunking down $$ on a raft.

Rafts are usually rated for Near Shore (within 10 miles), Coastal (up to 50 miles out), and Offshore (50+). This has to due with the construction of the raft and it's buoyancy in larger seas. Of course in an emergency anything is better than nothing.

Where will you be storing it?? Canister or Valise? On deck or inside. Some of the less expensive rafts weigh a ton and are bulky.

Some are vacuume packed which extends service time (pay now or pay later).

I did a lot of research and for my application (running a 30' CC) I went with the 6-man Winslow Ultra-light Offshore. It's light and compact (weighs like 36 lbs) but costs a bit north of 3k. Got it last year at the Miami boat show.
Thanks... Definately serious about the offshore Viking in a valise which will be stored below deck unless the conditions warrant me putting it on the bridge by my side i guess. With the show price i was given if i purchase in the near future, i think it was a little more than 2k and they would ship it right to where my boat is floating in west palm fl so I will have it for the ride up in april..

Thanks for all of the replies!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I met so many great guys, excellent fisherman, and good friends on the hook/raritan forum last season and hope to continue that this season on this forum!! Definately a great resource of people!!! I will be checking out the winslow as well Joe:thumbsup:

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
924 Posts
even though I have a life raft I see these small rafts for sale cheap in stores .now as a backup 1 laying upside down on bow would be a nice mattress for nap time on over nights and this would make me feel safer be it is already inflated .I don't care if I am in a inner tube when boat goes down as stated above any is better than none .just leave it to me to even have back up life raft on board go ahead break my balls :razz:.don't forget water proof vhf might as well have 1 also

1 - 20 of 25 Posts