BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a 4bbl intake manifold for a 302 ford marine engine. Anyone know of anyone who sells them? im having a hard time locating one

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Many marine parts are not interchangeable with car/truck parts....but I don't see why an intake manifold would matter...? Anyone know?

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I had a 302 in my boat many years ago I use many car parts on it and they were the same as the so called marine parts except they were a lot cheaper and they worked fine

·
Vendor
947 Posts
An iron intake would be interchangeable but an aluminum car/truck intake would not be good on a raw water cooled marine engine.

An aluminum auto intake on a raw water cooled engine would be corroded away in no time but would not be an issue on a fresh water cooled (antifreeze cooled) engine. On a raw water cooled setup you would have to use a bronze lined marine aluminum intake if you absolutely had to have an aluminum intake.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I had a 302 in my boat many years ago I use many car parts on it and they were the same as the so called marine parts except they were a lot cheaper and they worked fine
If it is an automotive carb, starter or alternator you risk the chance of an explosion if used in a marine environment.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
If it is an automotive carb, starter or alternator you risk the chance of an explosion if used in a marine environment.
what I did when I put the starter in was seal the connections with silicone, I never changed carb or alternator but I did seal the connections any way, I did replace oil pan and water pump and used car parts, much cheaper

·
Vendor
947 Posts
what I did when I put the starter in was seal the connections with silicone, I never changed carb or alternator but I did seal the connections any way, I did replace oil pan and water pump and used car parts, much cheaper
Depending on the application an automotive oil pan could mean certain death for a marine engine especially in higher performance motors. Marine pans can be made of heavy gauge steel or aluminum (making them less susceptible to corrosion), are typically higher capacity and include baffles and windage trays to compensate for the rough conditions that wouldn't be encountered by a typical car engine.
Yes, you can interchange some auto and marine engine parts but do your homework and make sure it won't be death to the engine or more importantly you.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I installed an oil pan made for a bronco it held 6 or 7 quarts of oil and had baffles in it, it was half the price of a marine oil pan

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
We searched for an oil pan for a 454 merc, cast aluminum......they listed for over a grand and no one had them, appearently they are not manufactured anymore.....we picked up a used one off of ebay for $300.

·
Registered
829 Posts
sundog1 is right.We are a PCM dealer .You need R002002 intake manifold.List price is $763.13 they are still avaiable from Pleasure Craft.If you want me to find you a good used one let me know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts