BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 ft Sea Hunt w/twin 150 Yamahas
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a new boat, 25 ft Sea Hunt, we want to go for tuna this summer. Brother wants to leave on a Friday afternoon and go chunking over night then troll in the AM! We leave from Cape May and will be going to either Wilmington or Spencer canyon. Just looking for a boat buddy to follow out or meet out there, figure we can cover more ground trolling together and sharing info. I know it's a few months early but I'm very excited, like a kid on Christmas day! lol Anyway, looking forward to hearing from some Captains.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congratulations on the new boat. Will you be at a marina? Don't limit yourself to just two locations. Way to early to say where the tuna bite will be. If at a marina plenty of liked minded small boat fisherman to get friendly with and share information . Leaving out of Cape May plenty of locations to fish for tuna. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 ft Sea Hunt w/twin 150 Yamahas
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations on the new boat. Will you be at a marina? Don't limit yourself to just two locations. Way to early to say where the tuna bite will be. If at a marina plenty of liked minded small boat fisherman to get friendly with and share information . Leaving out of Cape May plenty of locations to fish for tuna. Good luck.
Thank you, yes I am in a marina, Collins Marina next to Schooner Island. I'm just looking at the closest canyon to Cape May, need to watch the fuel gauge. lol I do have 155 gal so I don't want to be concerned while fishing!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thank you, yes I am in a marina, Collins Marina next to Schooner Island. I'm just looking at the closest canyon to Cape May, need to watch the fuel gauge. lol I do have 155 gal so I don't want to be concerned while fishing!
Plenty of spots
Baltimore Canyon closest to us coming out of Cape May. A few spots inshore of the Baltimore that can produce tuna. Tip of the Baltimore is around 63 miles from 2cm.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Get a worthwhile SST and Chloro service subscription, and learn how to interpret the charts and trends (pay someone to teach you, if you are not familiar with Oceanography. ) For newcomers, join an offshore club, fish with them...listen and learn, don't speak. If this all sounds expensive, remember that offshore fishing is expensive as well. The money and time you invest will save you tens of thousands, and you'll actually bloody the decks. Fuel, tackle, time off work, boat maintenance, slip fees, crew that cancelled last minute, bait...etc...

If the "right water" isnt there, you could have 1k mile range and a 5 million dollar sporty... and you will still strike out.

You mention wanting to go to a particular canyon and chunk for the night in the middle of summer. You mention trolling the next day.... Remember something that took me many years to learn... There are patterns, (weekly, monthly, yearly, and further...) Keep logs, build a network that you can contribute and recieve from... If you don't have a career that allows you to make last minute audibles and bang out of work, you are at a severe disadvantage. Hope that wasn't too cruel of an opening for advice, but it's a tricky sport. Bloody addictive, but you'll grind your teeth trying to get "good."

How many trips have you made to the 20 line or the 30 line? How many day trips to the various canyons...(which ones?) Have you done overnighters yet? Chased bluefin inshore? Chunked YF and BF inshore or at the canyons? Experience jigging and popping? Any experience targeting the pots for mahi or tilefish on good bottom, when the tuna bite sucks? Learn how to rig for sharks or swords? Takes YEEEARSSSS... Like with anything, learn the right way to do things the first time around... the faster you learn, the more success you'll have and the more memories you'll make... you have a boat that is capable on certain days. Now you need safety equipment...(that's a longgggg list...) I'm not trying to turn you off from it...its just a big dream that can be lived if you do it right...BUT, you have to do it right.

That is the best advice I have to offer. PM me if you need suggestions or help. Tight lines...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts