BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We normally would use small rubber bands with pin rigs. Thinking of switching to stainless steel "rigging springs" to use with the pin. They come in medium and large. How well to these work compared to rubber bands and do you have to use the large size with horse ballyhoo?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Sterling,
the spring works, - its very easy to rig a few Bally's that way.
A couple of our Bass Barn Sponsers sell these rigs ready to go, if that is what you need.
http://offshorecustomtackle.com/ballyhoo.php or for the pin and rubber band rig - you can get those here -

http://www.canyonrunner.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/36?osCsid=8ed0a5878de79aac2379358e46e20275

I find that cleaning out the guts and also the little air sacks, then breaking back ( lenghtwise) greatly increases the swimming ability of the bait, behind that lure head.
http://www.tournamentcable.com/pgs/catsearch.cfm?itemcat=RT has a nice Bally rigging tool kit I prefer to use - Good picture of my buddy Anthony on the bottom - check out his "Ballyhoo"

Want a fool proof Wahoo Bally Rig??? Try dragging one of Tournament Cable'ss Double hooked Bally rig on a weighted lure head, Planer rig, or Down rigger, for a can't miss Wahoo Bally rig.

All of our tackle sponsers here on Bass Barn.com have much to offer, so I try to buy product
from these folks who always lend advice to the use of their product to Barn Members.
(Both directly and here on the Barn)
Captn Joe

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
bait springs

Don't leave home without them. do a few and you get the hang of it. excellent for a quick rig only takes a few seconds. Do yourself a favor and get a prep kit from tournament cable.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
check out the QuickRig Bait Bridling kit. i picked one up for bridling herring and bunker but they have clips to bridle baits up to 12 pounds including some weighted clips for ballyhoo.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I have always used the pin and rubberband rig. One thing is to get the small rubber bands. (I get them from an orthodontist) One wrap behind pin, 2nd wrap in front and over pin. Takes about 30 seconds. I have also used wire and the springs, they all work. When I fish in NC they all use the rubber bands and the pin;) Just my $.02. Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sterling,

I have always used small zip ties when I use a pin rig it works great and is far quicker than wire when the bite is on. I alway look for simplicity when I fish. The zip ties also work well with mackeral if you use a pin rig for sharking. Painkiller

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
A pin rig with small rubber band works great and is easy to rig. I buy the small bands that they sell to use on girl's pigtails. I usually find them in kmart. I tried the bands that orthodontists have but they are silicon and I think that the rubber bands are easier to work with. I also have used the springs and they do work very well. As far as using monel rigging wire, in my opinion, that simply takes too long and does not produce a bait that swims any better or catches better than the pin rig.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I've watched fishy rig em up with the spring, he does each in about a minute, they look and swim great. Give them a go. Fish, I'm still waiting on my rigging seminar too.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Imagine capt Steve in A skirt?boy you talk about pretty!!!

sorry I couldent help myself!!! :p on another note Capt Steve the DSM is still working fine and is A ok. thanks for your help with that raymarine thing!:D

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Mike,
Great to hear. Good fishing this year, but save me a few.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
pin rigs with a spring work well and are quick to rig. Best advice is buy good bait. Greenies are available now and will be sold out soon.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Pin and Rubber bands... Swims just as good as any other baits I've seen and it takes under 30sec to rig.

Simple
Fast
Cheap
Great results.

Capt Steve said:
A pin rig with small rubber band works great and is easy to rig. I buy the small bands that they sell to use on girl's pigtails. I usually find them in kmart. I tried the bands that orthodontists have but they are silicon and I think that the rubber bands are easier to work with. I also have used the springs and they do work very well. As far as using monel rigging wire, in my opinion, that simply takes too long and does not produce a bait that swims any better or catches better than the pin rig.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
For you small boat guys, put your extra rubber bands in a ziplock bag (the good kind that zips across the top) with a 1 ounce sinker in the bag. We have had to cut down sharking rubber bands too many times before we figured this one....

I use both, I like the steel, it is easier. However I do like the idea that when rigging baits less is better. Those rubber bands are a bit of a pain when your hands are greasy. But I use them as they seem to swim a bit better.

OCT makes a nice rig...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
josh

messsing around with different cicle hook combos

1 - 18 of 18 Posts