BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I just purchased my first boat (used) and I plan to slip it in the Ocean City/Sea Isle area this season. However, the bottom needs to be painted first. The bottom has never been painted so the water line has to be marked as well.

Can anyone recommend someone/someplace that does good bottom painting in the South Jersey area? I am located in Gloucester County, but am willing to take it to whoever will do a great job. What is a fair price to paint the bottom? Also, what is the best bottom paint to use? I have read a lot on the Interlux ablative paints and right now to me that seems the best way to go.

I would appreciate any help and/or advice that anyone can offer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Barnacle Bills

Barnacle Bills does it and he is a sponsor. Give Joe a call.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Morning Wood said:
Hi Everyone. I just purchased my first boat (used) and I plan to slip it in the Ocean City/Sea Isle area this season. However, the bottom needs to be painted first. The bottom has never been painted so the water line has to be marked as well.

Can anyone recommend someone/someplace that does good bottom painting in the South Jersey area? I am located in Gloucester County, but am willing to take it to whoever will do a great job. What is a fair price to paint the bottom? Also, what is the best bottom paint to use? I have read a lot on the Interlux ablative paints and right now to me that seems the best way to go.

We can help you out and we do use only interlux products. I would forgo the use of an ablative paint on the first coat. I have found that using standard bottom coat gives a better base for longer paint adhision and then swith to ACT or Micron ablative paint the next season.
The proper way to paint your boat for the first time would be to start by chemical washing the bottom to remove wax and other contaminates to promote adhision along with scuffing the bottom with a stiff scothbrite pad. This process will actually help the paint or barrier coat chemically bond to the gelcote. Next would be to apply an epoxy barrier coat as a primer and then apply two to three coats of your final paint choice.
We paint a larger varity of new boats every year and this has been the only process that works without the paint flaking off over the years. Good luck Dean

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
We would have no problem doing your bottom paint. A first time paint needs to be done right. There is some prep work that needs to be performed before the hull can be painted. This is the reason why first time paint cost more. To do all the prep work and paint you bottom with Interlux Ablative your cost would be $350.00 and to paint it with Interlux ACT would be $375.00. Both prices do not include tax. Like Dean stated if you go with the Ablative or ACT the first coat of paint is a hard bottom paint. This will be different color paint then the final color to help you keep track of the paint wear after the season.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Barnacle Bills , Good price, great service. Stands behind his work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. This forum is great. I will definitely check out both King Marine and Barnacle Bill's. I look forward to tapping into everyone's expertise in the future. See you on the water.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Morning Wood said:

Cardinal Yacht Mania - at 680 Bay Ave. Somers Point , NJ 08244 ! Cardinal Joe :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts