BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get into Bft fishing and have been researching it a little. I have a 32ft center and dont want to go more the 60 or 80 miles out so my question is what size reel to get. I either want to get the tld or tyrnos, which one do you guys think is better and do you think 30w or 50w would be better with these reels for bft out to 60 or 80 miles. Also if any one has any of these for sale plz let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Well 80 miles would put you in a canyon. 50W can be a little heavy as you get older. I have been rigging regular 30's with hollow core and mono topshot's. Look on ebay if you want used, sometimes there is a good deal to be found.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Unless your dealing with 200 lb or more bfin you don't need over a modern 30 2-speed, if it were out at a canyon where you can hook up in the deep then 50's are nice but still we run Penn International 30VSW's, Avet 30 Pro EX,w's, and I think the best reels are probably the Shimano Tiagra's in the same size. All these reels have much stronger drag systems then the older single speeds, so you can put 80 lb braid backing and 80 lb mono topshots on top and have plenty of line to handle most of the bfins we hook, if you get into the Giant BFin then that's different, but you can't keep one anyway. You will want to have a jigging reel or 2, for the bfin, a lot like to have one spinning set-up with Shimano Stella's being the top one, in case you catch them on top and can nail them with plugs, and some people like using spinners for jigging to the bottom, I prefer conventional reels, we use a Avet Rapter HX, but there are several jigging reels out there you can spend a ton of money on, rigged with 80 lb braid and a windon leader you can handle bfin well into the 250 lb class on the 20f lumps, but I warn you I won't be saw fighting one. You better be in good shape and watch this heat, don't be to proud to tag in another angler several times , it's better then having a heart attack. I fought fish stand up even in the canyons when in my 20's for upto 3 hrs on a 305 bigeye which we landed on a 50TW, but I trained like a mad dog for intensive sports or I would never have been able to do so, I can handle maybe a 5 lb skipjack now. Check some archive post on here and you'll see plenty of list of what reels to get, or contact one of the many Vendors and they will be happy to set you up. If you need to save some money watch the Barnsale.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
if you are trolling 30W and 50 are popular, gold reels are really nice.
guys also use the 30TLD..

if starting out mono may be better, a bigger reel will be needed.

we have a few TLD30 2spds...
and just had a sale on rods...

stop in..belts, joe shuts, rods, reels..
a lot tolook at

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I have been slowly outfitting myself with offshore gear. I have an arsenal of Penn Squall vsw's and I can't complain one bit. I have 2 16vsws, 3 30vsws and 2 50s. I caught a 47 inch bft on a 16 and the reel didn't skip a beat

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Among the clutter there's some really good info herein.

Two roads to consider:

1. Buy Shimano or Penn traditional 50 wide reels and fill them with 50 lb. mono.

2. Buy smaller reels (Penn 16s), have your tackle shop fill them with braid, and topshot with 50 lb. mono.

When I had a boat with 20 fathom range, we used 2 x Penn 50TW, 1 x Shimano TLD 20ii and 1 x Shimano TLD30ii. The lighter graphite reels on true standup rods were SO FUN on inshore bluefin, especially when you had to go to 30 lb. flourocarbon leader.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You should check out the gear I'm selling. For a great price you have all you need to run a five rod spread. I'll even throw in a belt for ya!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts