BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried this one in the surf forum and only got 2 responses.Thanks Strikes,Hotshot. Which do u guys think is a better bomber tosser-the 965 from Loomis or the 81m from Lami??I was looking at both and was wondering if any of you guys have either one and how they handle.If there are any other rods good for bombers and smaller wood-please tell me.Any and all opinions are welcome.Thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm for the Lami. The extra action at the tip seems to make it easier to cast some of the smaller and lighter bombers in my opinion. I think the extra action provides the ability to get more whipping action with lesser weighted plugs. I have heard mixed things about the Loomis rods but have never tried one myself. I do own several Lami's and swear by them. I have an XS 81 LS (for the lighter plugs like small bombers) as well as an XS 81 M (for the heavier plugs like Yu-Zuri Mag Minnows). I have had them for a few years now and don't ever regret buying them. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
822 Posts
To me the sur965 is the best all around inshore rod for plugging. It has the ability to throw small, light stuff, like bombers and megas but can throw a 2 ounce swimmer as well. This Loomis also has the power to move big fish as I have taken some real good ones with this rod. As far as I am concerned Lami doesn't have a rod that can compare with this one.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Tough Call Here,,,,

Over the years you here nothing but good things
about the Loomis SUR965..I don't own one,but I
am a big fan of Loomis Rods (IMX,GL2 etc.)...
Same thing with Lamiglass Rods,but mostly the
Ron Arra Surf Pro Line..I do own a Lami XS91
that I matched up with my VS150 but this outfit
is setup for Plugs between 1-3oz not the lighter
stuff and it has not let me down yet.....

I will add another rod into the mix,when I
was looking for something similiar to you
for throwing lures between 1/2-2oz and wanted
a 8'stick .I went with the St.Croix TS80(Heavy).
It's Rated for 12-25lb line and lures between
1/2-2oz's and cost about $140.I really like
this rod,I matched it with a Shimano Sustain
4000 and it quickly became one of my favorite
outfits..

Good Luck With Whichever You Decide On...

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by DaveC:
To me the sur965 is the best all around inshore rod for plugging. It has the ability to throw small, light stuff, like bombers and megas but can throw a 2 ounce swimmer as well. This Loomis also has the power to move big fish as I have taken some real good ones with this rod. As far as I am concerned Lami doesn't have a rod that can compare with this one.
I agree. Skip, Fishnfool, and many other guys I know use this rod. It is a very versatile rod. I have a 7'10" but will have the 965 soon. I am a Lami fan as well but gotta give it to the 965.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.