BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't fished for trout in about 10 years and i'm going to attempt to brave the elements and idiots this Saturday morning. I've never fished Lorimer Park before, is it worth my time on opening day? My other option is going a little lower on the Pennypack. I don't do much freshwater fishing, but this has been a long winter and I have to wet a line. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I just stopped at 2 spots on Pennypack that are always very well stocked and didn't see a single fish or sign posted.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you go this Saturday you will probably be a lil lonely- opening day is next Saturday

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
If you go this Saturday you will probably be a lil lonely- opening day is next Saturday
????--- Next Sat. is 4/5 ---????

MONTGOMERY COUNTY --Lorimer/Pennypack creek open tomorrow 3/29......
.....Pretty sure they stocked it -right below Lorimer Park --Philly side of Pine road on 3/25.

Opening Day: Saturday, April 12
how this date is determined
Regional Opening Day: Saturday, March 29 Regional Opening Day counties:

• All waters in Adams, Berks, Bucks, Chester, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Franklin, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton, Perry, Philadelphia, Schuylkill and York counties (County Guide).
Streams on county borders that are part of Regional Opening Day:

• Mahantango Creek, between Northumberland and Dauphin counties. This is the ONLY stream in Northumberland County opening on the earlier date.
  • West Branch Mahantango Creek, between Snyder and Juniata counties. This is the ONLY stream in Snyder County opening on the earlier date.
  • Two streams in Carbon County -- Lizard Creek and Mahoning Creek.

18 SE PA COUNTIES - opening day is SAT.MARCH 29 Rest of the state is APRIL 12..
Pennypack Creek
upstream limit of Montgomery Co's Lorimer Park at old RR-xing/rail trail: Lat: 40.1127, Long: -75.0722
SR 13 (Frankford Ave.): Lat: 40.0434, Long: -75.0205
Date
Brk
Brn
Rbow
Meeting Place
Time
Hatchery
03/25/14
X
X
8600 Pine Rd Parking Lot Pennypack Creek
12:30 PM
Huntsdale
04/01/14
X
X
Levittown Lake at Lakeside Drive
12:45 PM
Huntsdale
04/26/14
X
X
12:30 PM
Huntsdale
10/09/14
X
12:45 PM
Huntsdale

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stopped by yesterday and didn't see a single fish at a few stops. And I hope i'm lonely tomorrow, maybe more people think it's next week.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I stopped by yesterday and didn't see a single fish at a few stops. And I hope i'm lonely tomorrow, maybe more people think it's next week.
How was the creek running - high + fast or low ? If H+f -- i'd try the Philly side down a ways from Pine rd.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Melvin, I think we fish the same local pond. It's been awhile since I've fished for trout, could I email you a question or two?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I walked from pine to krewstown yesterday and didn't see any fish. the water was pretty clear, but if it rains hard tonight I'm expecting chocolate milk tomorrow.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
going to start raining after 10-11am.. will push a bunch of people away... those fish are in the deep pools... fast rapids and so on.. you wont be seeing to many fish right now..

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I just walked along Pennypack from Bustleton Ave to the the waterfall at Route 1 and did not see a single fish or sign posted. The water was low and clear.

·
Registered
963 Posts
What a circus fishing was today, location #1 only saw 3 guys caught and released 4 trout in an hour, decided to move to location #2 DAMN a circus, must have been 200 ppl in one section. Did not fish but loved watching the tangles, the drunk people and the guys with salt rods catching trout. I have not been out for opening day in 10 years, i quickly remembered why, but I understand the tradition a lot of families have. Location #3 FFO stream not a single person seen the rest of the day. I will head out this week and bring some fish home for the kids, just not on a weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts