BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finalized plans today and heading to Jaco Costa Rica March 24th. We would like to do as much fishing as our pockets will allow so might do one or two full days and one or two half days depending on pricing.

We are 5 guys and trying to keep it to one boat.

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've heard there are quite a few good boats. Clean sweep is one of them, I know a couple people on here that have fished with Andy and done really well, even winning a few tournaments down there.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
We fished the last two years on the Dream Girl. The boat is owned by Pete Wagner, a local captain and great guy. Local guys run the boat but he has been down the both times we chartered him. As many as 17 sails landed in a day and blues and strips too. Always an easy trip because he can take care of everything just call him and tell him what you need. Good luck, the place is heaven no matter who you go with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dream Girl fishing boat out of Los Suenos

With regards to your inquiry about fishing. I would suggest the Dream Girl out of Los Suenos Marina as well. It is a cCustom '38 foot airconditioned boat - baeutiful.
Peter Wagner of the Hyper Striper owns it. His Tico Captain and crew are as passionate about catching as he is.
the website is: www.dreamgirlfishing.com
Take a look and reach otu to him. If you fish more than one day, Pete will give you a specia ldeal off the rates.
good luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I chartered a boat called Hoo's Up back in '06 from Los Suenos. It was not the fanciest boat in the fleet but I chartered it with only my wife so the price was right. Shop around and try to deal the boat directly since the reservation services upcharge $50 to $100. Don't worry about it either, there are tons of boats down there you can definitely book someone when you get down there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I chartered a boat called Hoo's Up back in '06 from Los Suenos. It was not the fanciest boat in the fleet but I chartered it with only my wife so the price was right. Shop around and try to deal the boat directly since the reservation services upcharge $50 to $100. Don't worry about it either, there are tons of boats down there you can definitely book someone when you get down there.

I was wondering if we could get something down there? I was a little nervous and would hate to get down there and there not be anything to charter. I know it is the week before Easter and everyone was telling me it is really busy then.

Can you get better deals if you go to the marina and try and do a same day charter? The guys I am going with like to drink so I think they kinda want to play it by ear and not commit in advance if they don't have to.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You will be rolling the dice if you don't book ahead, especially if you want one boat for basically the whole week. With that being said, in this economy I would feel confident being able to book once I am down there. Worse comes to worse you take a boat out of Jaco or book multiple boats (some people own multiple boats down there too so they may extend multi-day discount). Just go walk off your hangover at the marina the first day and see if any captains are hanging around and ask. I booked ahead but I walked the docks everyday and there were plenty of folks hanging around on the boats. Just ask anyone you see at the marina they will point you in the right direction. Also, there is a bar called the Hook Up that overlooks the marina, many of the captains go there after the day of fishing. That would be a great spot to make some contacts and its a good way to get your buddies out if they are not fully committed to fishing while down there.

If you have any luck, take your fish to a local restaurant, they will cook it up for you. I went to one of the restaurants right on Herradura Bay in Herradura. Just take a right out of Los Suenos and follow around the bend. They charge maybe $10 to prepare it, and give you all the sides they would give if you just walked in off the street.

The others suggesting Clean Sweep are right on though. I know Mr. Shapiro and he has a great boat that does well in all of the tournaments down there. I am actually going to book him for 3-4 trips when my dad finally retires.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
10Diver

I have been there many times and 10diver is right on the money. The restauarant he is talking about is great, I believe it is called Pelicano's, or something like that. Also the Hooked up is the bar at the Marina and about 4pm it is loaded with all the charter guys, so you can make your deal there, and get drunk at the same time. I always fish the cosa rica Dreams fleet, but i would shop around, you can do better.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I've heard there are quite a few good boats. Clean sweep is one of them, I know a couple people on here that have fished with Andy and done really well, even winning a few tournaments down there.

Good Luck,

as mike said.. book ahead try to get andy.. on the clean sweep. they sit in 11th place as we speak for the first leg of the los suenos sig. tournament on day 2.

the dream fleet is okay.. you'll be fishing with less then quality tackle with a few guides missing etc and they will only run you so far.. sometimes so far just isnt good enough.. they are pretty much limited by one man who sits in the office as far as distance.

you'll be more then happy with andy though. his capt is top notch and i believe is in some serious contention for capt of the year award.. if it hasnt already been achieved.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Clean Sweep no doubt

They are a great boat, you couldn't find a nicer captain and mate, gear is top shelf new and well cared for Shimano stuff. For the record, Andy is the owner and hot hand on the drop backs as is partner Mark at the tourney. They have won 3 of the last 4 or 4 of the last 5 tourneys. Andy doesn't run the boat however, I think it is Christian as capt and Jose as mate. Again, great guys, fish hard and will run to where the fish are. They love to fish.
Andy is a perfectionist and it is his personal boat. It is flawless as is his gear. There is no doubt this is the prime boat to charter down there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.