BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be heading down 3/22-3/29. I was wondering if my Verizon cell will work down there. Also, any restaruant / bar recomendations would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Verizon and Nextel do not have coverage in Costa Rica. You can buy a phone card in Costa Rica for $10 that will give you around 90 minutes to the U.S.

Do not eat in Los Suenos because it is over priced and the food is better in Jaco anyway. Check out the Beetle Bar they have the best crabs in town.:) If you like sushi check out Tsunami Sushi.

·
Registered
520 Posts
El Barco de Mariscos is one of the better places in town, on Sunday nites it's filled with locals which will tell you something. Reasonably priced, big menu, you won't go wrong there. Pancho Villa is another good one

·
Registered
485 Posts
Go to the beatle bar - it's an open buffet. I didn't try the crabs though:D

You can pick up your food there and bring it back to Los Suenos......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ask the Captains (bring a pen & paper). They'll tell you, the fish start biting, and when you hop off the boat, you'll forgot what they told you or cannot pronounce it. The Marriott is over priced, but you know what you are getting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you have a car, head down to hermosa, 10 minute drive from jaco, a bunch of small cabinas have restaraunts w/ good food, cheaper and way less touristy than jaco. There is (or was) a great seafood place, ocean side on the main road, real small road side type place, a few minutes from the point into hermosa

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
i think your nuts if you rent a car down there.. ide be scared to.. haha they drive like maniacs if you ask me.. best way is to take a cab about.. but the beetle is a must visit like stated before haha.

·
Registered
469 Posts
rent a car is a must if you surf at all.

rice and chicken/camarones for 1000 colones ($2) and a 400 colon pilsen does the trick! right now its 495 colones to a dollar

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah you are truly missing out if you dont rent a car. I've driven all over that country on several trips, surfing not fishing, and never had an issue anyhwere. There is a ton to see there and you should definitely take a day to check some things out, arenal volcano is unreal, there is a waterfall about an hour south of jaco that is great to check out, if you have the time manuel antonio. Jaco is sooo far from representing what cr is about you need to see other places. Jaco is like NJ, the armpit of cr. And beetle bar is the chit if you are looking for an NJ type beach bar overflowing with hookers, actually most places in Jaco are good for that.

You want any advice or recomendations, hit me up [email protected]

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Rough start

Mike, here, White Shadow. I've been to Los Suenos 5 times in the past 6 years. gindy hit it right on the head. Try to see some things other than Jaco. Jaco is like Seaside Heights on a bad night. The beatle bar is like the Bamboo bar, except you get charged at the Beatle. Pellicano's is a great restaurant and they will cook your catch at a good price. When you come out of the gates of Los Suenos, just make a right. If you have a golf cart, it is a 10 minute ride. If you have a car, check out some other things. I am sure you will have a great time whatever you choose to do. Mike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Mike. Jeff won't be making the trip but I'll let you know how I make out. The Grady should be in the water by 4/1. We'll have to get out together before things get to busy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts