BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the rumor is out. There is a REAL GOOD chance the slot fish will be gone by mid summer. I heard from a really good source that the slot is going south (so to speak) There trying to put it off for a few months but it is comeing.
I catch enough that it won't effect me to bad. I tag and release most of the slots but there is some fishermen/woman that aren't doing as good.
Good luck and keep your poles bent.

·
Registered
329 Posts
At the NJMFC meeting on Wednesday, council agreed to convene an emergency striped bass committee meeting to discuss the options. The fed has said we're officially out of compliance, and we have (as a state) until their May meeting to come up with a plan of action. Choices are few:

1) Stay out of compliance, fight, file a grievance, go before Commerce Secretary, rattle cages, etc.

2) Go to two fish at 28 inches and forget about rocking the boat.

3) Create a 'true' slot fish perhaps - one fish from 24 to 30 inches, one fish at 37 and above...the slot is the 'no take' of 30 to 37.

Should go to public opinion in the next month or so...stay tuned.

- Jim Hutchinson, Jr.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
KeysKid,
I was fishing back in the 80's when you couldn't buy a 28" striper, (the forest with no trees) do you remember those days??? The slot only came in a few years ago, before that it was [email protected] and before that it was 28 in the ocean & 34 in the bay. This is the best striper fishing that most of you guy's have ever seen. It's not about meat. I can fish 7 days a week and get all the meat I want, no matter what the limit is. I just think [email protected] is better for the program, (weekend fisherman, charters & party) or make a true slot of 1 fish 24 to 28 and one over 38. Your kids will have a better chance of catching a striper than my kids ever did. ;) If you look back in time, the program is defiantly working.

[ 03-28-2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Capt Lew ]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I remember those days, I fished the D bay with my dad growing up for 7 years and never caught a striper :eek: ...I agree that weve got some great fishing now...but what I am saying is that if its not broke why fix it????? The program is working great, why mess with a good thing? I also dont understand how 2 fish at 28 will give a break to the larger more productive fish???? Sounds backwards :confused:
These fish will take a huge hit during the D bay chunking season when instead of guys taking just 1 cow a day now they can take 2 30-40lb females..how does that give a "break" to the productive breeding fish???? Its the exact opposite of what we need!!!!

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Capt Lew,

I agree that your proposed slot fish the way that you stated it would be the best thing for the program, including the fish. A true slot is one in which the slot is protected, not taken as it is now, in your proposal the 28" to 38".This would allow us all to take the best fish for the table, protect the younger spawning fish, and allow the true "trophy" fish to be taken by those who wish to.

Now only if the powers that be could see things as clearly as we do..... ;)

KeysKid, I would agree with you also that two at 28" or better is bassackwards. It worked in the past when there wern't many fish that size to be had, and basicly all bass were protected at that time because there were none or very few fish over 28". Now the fish are there, and they in my opinion are the ones that need protection for the species to thrive.

[ 03-28-2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Keeper Seeker ]

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
KeysKid, Keeper Seeker
I stand corrected. ;) I should not of said the [email protected] would be better for the productive fish (post edited), just better for the weekend fisherman, charter, and party boats as apposed to a slot limit. If we have to go back to [email protected] I still don?t think it will be that harmful. After all the fish population continued to grow when we had this limit and I think it will continue. I?m all for a true slot limit 1 fish 24 to 28 and one over 38, but it will hurt the weekend fisherman, charters & party boats, especially if they take the bonus program away. If they keep the limit as it is now, that would be fine too. ;) Hell, they can even take my bonus tag away. 2 fish a day is fine by me.

[ 03-28-2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Capt Lew ]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by Capt Lew:
KeysKid, Keeper Seeker
I stand corrected. ;) I should not of said the [email protected] would be better for the productive fish (post edited), just better for the weekend fisherman, charter, and party boats as apposed to a slot limit. If we have to go back to [email protected] I still don?t think it will be that harmful. After all the fish population continued to grow when we had this limit and I think it will continue. I?m all for a true slot limit 1 fish 24 to 28 and one over 38, but it will hurt the weekend fisherman, charters & party boats, especially if they take the bonus program away. If they keep the limit as it is now, that would be fine too. ;) Hell, they can even take my bonus tag away. 2 fish a day is fine by me.
RIGHT ON!! :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
2 over 28 would be hell, i mena come on- how many times do u have a boat in the delaware bay- in the fall- and only have on man on it? my point is people will be able to take 8 HUGE bass- thats what will kill the stocks.. The syestem we have isnt broken- so dont fix it

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Originally posted by FINZ UP 1289:
The syestem we have isnt broken- so dont fix it
I agree, but we have to convince the Fed's. Second choice is 2 over 28 or a true slot limit. Best for the stock would be the slot.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to take any fish below 28". Too many anglers are successful at that length and the harvest soars, according to ASMFC stats. We'll see what conservation equivalency they come up with.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Originally posted by FINZ UP 1289:
2 over 28 would be hell, i mena come on- how many times do u have a boat in the delaware bay- in the fall- and only have on man on it? my point is people will be able to take 8 HUGE bass- thats what will kill the stocks.. The syestem we have isnt broken- so dont fix it
The system is not about logic. One only has to look at the fluke and tog fisheries to see the probable future of bass fishing. In the not too distant future, the size limit will probably increase to the point that a good many jetty/bank/beach fishermen could be eliminated from the fishery. Same thing that has happened with fluke and tog. It appears any fihery on the upswing will suffer the same fate.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Charter guys like 2 fish over 28 without a slot as that keeps there boats filled
The guy getting screwed is the little guy who rents a boat or fishes from beach,sodbanks and piers,there chances of catching 2 over 28 are slim most of the year.
I like idea of a slot 18-24 and 1 over 34
In addition I think Delaware Bay chunking should be shut down Oct-Dec to allow the cows to fatten up for a long journey up river to spawn in the spring. Only fishing allowed should be live bait or artificals
Chunking is killing a helleva lot of big bass
THAT will provide a much larger spawn and many more fish coming out of the Delaware Basin
Now regadrless of what they decide it won't affect me I tagged and release 99.5% of my bass
but I'm thinkin gof the little guy who will be losing out if the Slot is gone

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Good idea Willie. We ought to shut it all down. After all, they're all on the way to spawn, right?
First, let's get rid of the commercials. Next, let's get rid of the Delaware Bay guys. Then, you'd have all the fish for wherever it is you fish.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Some of you guys who post with all that "Member This" "Member That" crap should be better informed. Maybe it's because you are still "wet behind the ears". The commerical net boats ruined the striper fishery period. You guys who keep those 30 pound cows make me sick also. Do you really eat those fish and worse yet feed them to your young childern? But that is another subject. I used to catch lots of stripers in the CB until the netters completely ruined the fishery. They did the same thing to weakfish in the Delaware Bay in the 80's. I saw it happen and no one could do a thing to stop it then. The commerical guys want at the fish again. In NJ the bonus tag is the old commerical catch quota. If you dumb xxx's want to give up the bonus tag the commerical guys will take up that quota no questions asked. Other states should get with NJ and enact a "No sale of stripers" also. Let's aruge and fight over keeping a 24" fish or two 28" fish or maybe a slot 38" fish while the commerical guys come back and take them all. Wake-up you "Member This" Memember That's".

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.