BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lose a lot of fish 10 to 15 feet from the edge of the water when I'm using plugs, whether its a top water plug or swimmer. I'm improving my hook-up ratio but I'm not landing many of them. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Here are a couple of things to think about...

Use a whetstone and sharpen your hooks before your next outing.

Don't give the fish any slack line, even when you think the fight is over.

Wear boots or waders, it's easier to land a fish when you're in the water, rather than dragging it through the wash up onto the beach.

Hope these simple hints help. Good luck.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Keep the rod tip down. Don't hold it up.

And to reiterate what Steve said---NO SLACK. EVER.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
I probably waste more time than most people playing with the fish just enjoying the fight longer than I probably should. I will have to try keeping the rod tip down and see if that helps. I have started sharpening the hooks a few years ago but I still lose fish.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
The longer you fight, the bigger the entrance holes get where the hooks are, and the easier it is for the fish to get off.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I used to have the same problem. Make sure your hooks are large enough, sharpen them, have drag a little stiff at the hookset and then loosen the drag during fight. Has worked for me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Its really just all part of plugging. Unlike a jig they really whack the plugs and often get hooked outside the mouth and usually get hooked in two places. when the Fish bends back and forth in a U shape it creates fulcrum points and all the energy goes to the two spots its hooked.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I am a fan of get the fish to the boat and out of the water as fast a posible within the limits of equipment. The shorter the fight the better chance of survival for the throw backs and does not build up as much lactic acid in the meat.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
There is a difference in loose drag and light drag, stripers don't run far. You can gain line with a light drag. When the fish starts to slow after his run give pressure to the side while cranking. Most fish are lost on plugs within 12ft of the boat because of tight drag and no line to stretch.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
If you are using a really stiff rod and power pro with a tight drag you are pulling the hooks. On the boat I use glass rods with hard baits...from the banks a light loomis surf series. Use VMCs or Gamis. Above advice is all good.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Originally posted by Fly Ty R:
The longer you fight, the bigger the entrance holes get where the hooks are, and the easier it is for the fish to get off.
Along with many other things, someone that I knew once told me something like that... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts