BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: :confused: :confused: I need some help. A few weeks ago, i was fishing off of the Sea Isle Bay side of Townsends pullin in small sharks and a short flounder about mid afternoon. I had two lines in the water, one in a spike, and one leaning on a bucket. Out of no where, the rod leaning on the bucket took a hard hit, and i admittedly might have gotten a little over excited and jumped too fast, but when i started reeling in, i lost all the tackle on the end of it. :mad: Less than 20 seconds after that, the other rod started going nuts, so, being a little more patient, i felt the pulls, and started to ease it in, eventually, the fight was over and i wound up with just a weight on it. If that wasnt crazy enough, two weekends ago, i was out in the back bay of sea isle with my brother and the same thing happened to his line. This time it was around noon time. If anyone knows what this is or could be, let me know, and how i can be prepared next time. if you havent noticed im still a novice/amateur fisher at the south jersey shore. always ready to learn a thing or two. Thanks guys. :D

·
Registered
11,937 Posts
Take your gear to a local tackle shop that'r run by fishermen & not kids with a summer job. Your stuff could be wrecked from UV rays, etc. If your line is old it'll be brittle. Ask to have someone watch you tie your knots. Most anyone will be glad to help with suggestions.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I laugh when I see some people "test" their knots after tying them. They look like they are trying NOT to break it. Last night I did some freshwater bass fishing with a borrowed rod and older line. I tied on my lure and tested the knot good- line snapped. Did this about 5 times before having to strip 20ft or so line from the spool to get a good knot. It can be frustrating but 10 minutes later I landed a 4+ pound largemouth that would have easily broke a bad line/knot. After tying test the knot like your TRYING to break it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.