BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think if you fish enough or run your boat enough you are gonna run into that dreaded day when you accidently drop your keys in the drink. So yeah i was wondering what you would do if you lose the key to your out board control ? any help would be greatly appriciated thank you!!!!!!!!!!:huh::huh::huh::huh:

· Banned users
6,340 Posts
get spares made and hide them on the boat, lots of good hiding spaces on the boat, battery cases, under chairs, inside cushions or life jackets, use your imagination:wave:

· Registered
3,505 Posts
A dealership should be able to help you out. They carry all the different keys.

· Registered
2,695 Posts
i leave a spare sent with our marina owners. for several reasons, incase of lose or an emergency and my boat needs some attention while im not there. alos i have a float on my boat keys . bb

· Registered
5,065 Posts
ALWAYS have a spare key for ANYTHING. My Yamaha key has a number, so a Yamaha dealer can get me another should I request one by simply giving him the key number. I have three keys for my boat. One on a lanyard, one on a key ring and one home in a jewelry box.;)

· Registered
1,788 Posts
If you remember the number on the key your local shop might have one in stock. There are not that many different keys at least for Mercury believe it or not. I happened to to know the number of the key I lost went to my local shop and they had one on the rack. Good luck.

· Registered
5,323 Posts
I have a float on my boat keys but I would need a boat to retreive them if they ever fell in the water at the slip at $sland when the tide was ripping. They'd be haulin and no way to catch em.:eek: I've always thought about it but its never happened."knock on wood"

· Banned
7,161 Posts
Spare Keys

Can't have enough of them. You never can tell when your day in the bucket is coming.

Plenty of hiding places like Fred said. Cup hooks work well, too.;)

· Registered
967 Posts
I Know!!!!!

Glad to see you were kind!!:eek:
I'm a little tough, sometimes! I really think we need to have a "get together" with the "new" boat guys. I would be the first to volunteer! They need a little help. I applaude anyone who gets into "boating". There ought to be a special site for new guys, where NO question is too stupid. Hell, I've got 40+ years into it, and last yr., one time, I forgot my battery! :confused::confused::confused::confused::thumbsup:

· Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Big Goof

I trailered my boat all the way to Lake Raystown some years ago and of course left my keys at home :eek: Luckily all the evinrude dealer needed was the serial # of the engine and he know the key #. The other choice was to try all the keys till you found the right one. There really aren't that many less than 20 if my memories are correct.
Since then There are three sets with me all on floats One in my pocket, one in my truck and another hidden on the boat.

· Registered
124 Posts
Was working on the boat one time and a boat ran past the marina, rocked the boat and the tool box fell in. Case floated and all the tools took a deep 6. Took me 1-2 hrs with a magnet. Got all the tools back but one. Back then I had the tools up on the seat. Today I put the tools on the floor and carry a shot gun. If the keys are not SS or copper a magnet may help. Think it would only help if you a not moving when you dropped them.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
Always have a spare set on the boat.
Always leave them in the ignition. Because we trailer it and don't keep it in the marina.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.