BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL AFTER 30YEARS OF FISHING I FINALLY DID IT.DUE TO MY OWN CARELESSNESS AS I WENT TO PUT THE ROD INTO THE HOLDER AFTER REBAITING A SINGLE HOOK WITH SQIUD AND MINNOW- BAM- SOMETHING BIG HITS AND RUNS.NEEDLESS TO SAY OUT OF ONE HAND GRABBED WITH THE OTHER AND OVER IT WENT. BRAND NEW 7FT TSUNAMI ROD AND PENN 320GTI. :mad: RUINED THE REST OF MY DAY WHICH ACTUALLY WAS A DECENT DAY ON THE BAY. LOTS OF SMALL BLUES -SEA BASS- FLOUNDER- AND CRABSTO TOP OFF THE DAY. WE SAT THREW THE RAIN SHOWER AND CAUGHT ABOUT 2 DOZEN JIMMIES.THE ROD WAS LOST A HALF MILE WEST OF #1 NEAR A STAKE. I HAD FORGOTTEN TO LOOSEN THE DRAG AFTER A NICE LITTLE BATTLE WITH A BLUE. THAT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN. THE ONLY UPSIDE IS I NOW WILL REPLACE IT WITH A GTI LEVELWIND FOR THE FALL RUN.:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
That happened to my buddy a few years back...You just never know when something big is going to hit....At least you had a good day anyway!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yea me and a buddy was out last year in Nov fishin for the great striped one when he lost one,it was rockin and rollin and rough as heck at 34 bouy,and he lost his footin on a cast and let it go he said it was either him or the rod!!! and he didnt want to get no wetter than he was... lol.. she was a oldie and it just gave good reason for a new one:D

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Don't be too pi$$ed. If you fish the salt from a boat on a regular basis it is bound to happen to everyone.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
ekim

that's why i have a throwable bouy marker at hand.two rods overboard this year and both recovered.one with a 5 lb fluke and one with a horseshoe crab still attached.i do fish the shallows so retrives were in under 15 feet.i lost my retirement rod and reel the first time i used it but i found it at low tide. saw the gold on the penn reel i and brought it up with a weighted bunker treble hook.i must say i've found more than i lost over the years.fluke have slowed down in the shrwesbury only had 8 keepers between 3 of us.

·
Registered
557 Posts
lost rod and reel

i did that back in 69 fishing for stripers at mystic islands brand new penn 710 with 7 ft rod .hornet stung my hand went to slap it and dropped the rod. hence my name LOST A ROD..:D

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
does anyone have the GPS numbers where all this tackle went overboard!!!:p ...LOL...if you fish long enough it happens to us all...Im still looking for a 40+ redfish that took off with a bocagrip in fla a few yrs back,

·
Banned
181 Posts
Ooops!

We were fishing last year near #1 and my Buddy drops his new Penn & ugly stick over the side. He was so DAMN MAD that he could not say a dirty word. " I told him if he didn"t want the pole he could have given it to me" HE DID NOT THINK THAT WAS FUNNY. Anyway your pole has company were it lies. Capt Ahab.:eek:

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
lost rod

...............can't go down with another rod I'm telling you.
Can't .

.............a line from the movie JAWS with a little variation.........

·
Registered
67 Posts
The story you are about to read is true so help me God. Years ago before I had my own boat I rented a boat and motor out of the Fort and was anchored in the stakes. I fished with several rods and of course there were no rod holders. You just lean the rods over the side. The next thing I know one of the rods take off like it was shot out of a missle silo. After many attemps to snag the rod I gave up but contnued fishing. After several hours I caught a weakfish around 18" and guess what he had 2 hooks in his mouth. The second hook and line had the lost pole at the end of the line.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Had it happen TWICE! One was an Abu 6500, uglystick. Had a cut on my right thumb, and was "feeling" for the bite, set hook at the same time the fish decided to run. Line went in the cut and it HURT! Let go with the right hand, and only had the end of the grip in left. Well, not good enough aparently. That was near wreck buoy. Sommers Point, Garcia Ultra-Mag, and a browning rod. This was mainly freshwater bass rig. Set it down for a second, and still havn't picked it up:)

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WELL IT STILL STINGS A LITTLE AND TODAYS MONDAY. THAnks FOR THE SUPPORT. TOO EASE THE PAIN I JUST ORDERED A NEW PENN 330LD WITH A PENN ROD FROM TACKLE DIRECT. BAD WAY TO UPGRADE BUT THAT MISTAKE WONT HAPPEN AGAIN.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I had my new striper net in a stainless steel rodholder that was connected to my front rail this spring. On my way back from Pierce's Point in three footers I hit a bigger wave and the rod holder snapped and I watched the rodholder and net drop overboard. It was my last try at stripers for the spring so I have time to find a new one but after years of fishing I have come to the conclusion that **** happens and you can't do anything about it.

A couple of years ago I fished on a rental boat with a buddy and his girlfriend. He puts the rod down, a nice weakie hits and over the side the outfit goes. He is beside himself with grief and anger. His girlfriend looks at him and says " the sea given and the sea taketh away". Well I was glad to be sitting between them because she would have followed the rod and reel.:eek:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tuffy2,
I have seen that that happen not once but twice on the jetty in AC.
Both times the rods went back to there owners and both times 15-20lb stripers were the culprits.
Not sure who kept the fish...
Sorry for your loss phish4fun, I get bummed alittle even when I lose a lure that has been producing.Hopefully your replacement rig will be killer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts