BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished our usual opening season spot. Past years there have not been any pots & fishing was always lights out.
This year, we got there (28 miles from CM) and the area was covered w/ pots. Couple charter guys that are sea bass slayers, left after 30 minutes, which showed there were not good marks.
We fished 2 hours & had 7 keepers. Left & searched around.
Came back 2 hours later and they were biting. Ended up with 30+ for 5 guys. Only kept 14"+. Most were 16-18" fish.
Good quality, not good quantity.
But the numbers were not there.
Just wonder how much the number of pots play into less fish this year. I got to believe the pots are loaded.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was only out there for a little while before my engine problems, but it certainly wasn’t lights out fishing, I noticed the pots also , I think the moon phase put a damper on the fishing however

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm pretty sure we were in the same spot. Last year that area was free of pots and opening day was drop and reel.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure we were in the same spot. Last year that area was free of pots and opening day was drop and reel.
Yes we were. You dock mate TB was with us.
Also, you purchased your boat off my Neighbor, Ondrea.
I recognized the name: Deep Desire.
Small world.

·
Registered
686 Posts
we are heading out about noon Friday.
Probably only hit the reef.
Good Luck.
Gonna start out where I saw you last Friday. Hit the CM and Wildwood reefs today, mighty lean. Spike weakies and triggerfish, small seabass. Good luck capt.

·
Registered
15,993 Posts
Do a search here on a thread started by JZ, Pots On The Reefs. If I remember correctly, that thread went on for quite some time. Specifically NJ

·
Registered
159 Posts
If i remember right there was a law passed keeping pots off the reef in NJ. tax payer monies used to create reef for public use. But like everything else who is gonna police them?

·
Registered
15,993 Posts
We were fishing around the 20 fathom line and not at the reefs
You’re right, you said that in the opening post. I just went back and re read it. Sorry. I don’t think there is any prohibition against pots near the wrecks. The pots just moved from the reefs to other structural areas.

·
Registered
16,222 Posts
You’re right, you said that in the opening post. I just went back and re read it. Sorry. I don’t think there is any prohibition against pots near the wrecks. The pots just moved from the reefs to other structural areas.

So did i Pat but i put the post up of the new regulations that was asked about the changes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts