BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i had someone tell me that striper fishing is better during low and falling pressure because he took aquaculture in high school, ive done very well before a pressure drop nd after it comes back up but never had a great day during low pressure. This is just the first time ive heard it and it contradicts what ive read and what i have experienced. Im just curious if theres any truth to that, i dont agree with it but i learn new things almost every time i fish even after over 20 years. So any opinions would be greatly appreciated, thank you

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a friend who is a fishing guide down South and he has a dual degree in Marine Biology and Biology. When I brought this discussion up with him he told me that there is an organ or bladder in most fish that rests against their stomach. This internal organ/bladder is effected by atmospheric pressure. When there is High atmospheric pressure, it condenses the size of this organ/bladder, leaving the stomach fully expanded. Fish can then sense when the pressure will drop from high to low (storms coming) and they eat until they can't eat any more because they know once the low atmospheric pressure hits, the organ will expand and apply pressure to the stomach and they won't be hungry. Vice versa as a storm moves out...pressure rises and the stomach begins expanding and they are hungry.

This kind of jives with what that website says. AS stomrs move in and out of the system...activity increases. Periods of nice sustained weather and when the storm is on us...fishing slows a bit.

Now...all that said...you can believe what you want. That just happened to be the most edumacated response I had heard to that lasting question of pressures and fishing. Thought I would share it with you guys. Believe what you will.

I personally enjoy fishing during all atmospheric pressures :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
I fish when I can so it`s not a big deal to me. But its eazy enough to look at the pressure over the last 2 week then check the reports. Last week when someone posts he had over 100 shorts the pressure was dropping like a rock. :eek:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You hit it on the head smp, thats the same conclusion ive reached and most people i fish with say the same, almost all my bigger fish been caught during steady pressure, and have had great fishn before and after pressure change, thanks for the replys guys...good luck n tight lines

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes falling pressure produces a better bite for sure. Falling pressure is a harbinger of bad weather(storm) so the fish start feeding cause they know they may be bedding down for a while.

I remember a few years ago there was an approaching tropical storm or hurricane and I went to the local reefs and had one of the best days fishing I could remember. It was crazy every single time I hit the bottom I was hit hard, fluke seabass and a few others. It was one of those times when you almost get tired of fishing after a while .

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes falling pressure produces a better bite for sure. Falling pressure is a harbinger of bad weather(storm) so the fish start feeding cause they know they may be bedding down for a while.

I remember a few years ago there was an approaching tropical storm or hurricane and I went to the local reefs and had one of the best days fishing I could remember. It was crazy every single time I hit the bottom I was hit hard, fluke seabass and a few others. It was one of those times when you almost get tired of fishing after a while .
This. Also after the storm is good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I fish for all species of fish, not just stripers, and I have given up trying to read fish behavior based on weather patterns. Just when you think you've figured it out, it does a 180 on you. Not to say that there are certain basic patterns that occur time and again, but if you expect a hot bite due to xx weather, you'll be often disappointed.

My thinking is, water pressure has to be way more noticeable to a fish than air pressure. If the fish is 10' under the water, there is tons of water pushing down on it.. can the pressure of the air really make a huge difference? Tide, bait presence, water temp and water clarity are all factors I look at before I consider the atmospheric pressure

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Much has been written and asked about the question of fish feeding patterns prior to a storm approaching. It is but one of many factors that effect fish feeding behavior. I think it is safe to say that fishing is often good prior to a low pressure system's approach. Many folks would think it is the change of pressure causing the fishing to improve, but it is not only the pressure that changes prior to a front approaching, there is often increasing cloudiness, winds beginning to shift to the east, reduced turbulence in the water, and reduced silt levels. I believe it is the other factors that improve the fishing, not the actual change in pressure.

Divers on the barn know that for every 30 feet you descend, the pressure on your (and fish) body doubles. The expansion and contraction of the swim bladder in fish (not all have them) is a mechanism they use to stay neutrally buoyant, as they ascend and descend the water column. I did a calculation one time and if you figure the change in barometric pressure between the low of the worst storm in history and the high we experience on one of those blue bird days, this pressure differential is equivalent to a fish moving a foot or so in the water column.

Because very few fish are strictly demersal (bottom) feeders that don't change depths as they search for feed, the species we fish for are constantly experiencing water pressure changes much greater then even the strongest storms. My conclusion has always been that it is not the pressure changing, but it is the other factors mentioned above that increase feeding pre storm. Don't forget too, that these same factors increase bait fish activity and their increased feeding efforts pre storm also have a stimulatory effect on predator species feeding intensity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lots of fish can regulate the pressure in their swim bladder too. Haha, idk it was a big argument when i said it, but not long after i cleaned up on stripers during the pressure dropping AND when it had bottomed out, so yea id say its not something to print in a pocket reference but il stand what i said

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
I have a friend who is a fishing guide down South and he has a dual degree in Marine Biology and Biology. When I brought this discussion up with him he told me that there is an organ or bladder in most fish that rests against their stomach. This internal organ/bladder is effected by atmospheric pressure. When there is High atmospheric pressure, it condenses the size of this organ/bladder, leaving the stomach fully expanded. Fish can then sense when the pressure will drop from high to low (storms coming) and they eat until they can't eat any more because they know once the low atmospheric pressure hits, the organ will expand and apply pressure to the stomach and they won't be hungry. Vice versa as a storm moves out...pressure rises and the stomach begins expanding and they are hungry.

This kind of jives with what that website says. AS stomrs move in and out of the system...activity increases. Periods of nice sustained weather and when the storm is on us...fishing slows a bit.

Now...all that said...you can believe what you want. That just happened to be the most edumacated response I had heard to that lasting question of pressures and fishing. Thought I would share it with you guys. Believe what you will.

I personally enjoy fishing during all atmospheric pressures :D
i must be part fish and have the same bladder except I'm ALWAYS ON THE FEED :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.