BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather permitting who thinks its worth a run down to try for some stripers in the mid to lower on Friday? Its a long trip for me and I havent heard of any strong reports yet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where ya coming from?

Save the travel. Fish the upper bay/lower river area.
I am just north of Princeton. My boat is docked in the Cape May Canal. I would make the run North but I have no history of fishing the area. It's a long run to hunt for new spots. Who knows, they could be heading south by Friday.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Here's a little tip, its a little early but by now- the drum fish should be in the bay. Yes, the weather and wind has sucked for the past two month's giving us little fishable weekends let alone fishable days. If I had a boat down in Cape May, I'd be scouting the drumfish grounds.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a 41 miles run for you to L4 where a few stipers are getting caught
That is a very long run for a potential to catch one. I will most likely hit the back bays and/or take a run out from for some trolling. If its nice I want to give it a try.

·
Registered
20,358 Posts
I am just north of Princeton. My boat is docked in the Cape May Canal. I would make the run North but I have no history of fishing the area. It's a long run to hunt for new spots. Who knows, they could be heading south by Friday.
That's where I'm at too, CM. If I head out the canal this Sat I intend to make a right and go about 25 miles. Ya gotta go where the fish are sometimes. Maybe I'll stop at 15 miles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's where I'm at too, CM. If I head out the canal this Sat I intend to make a right and go about 25 miles. Ya gotta go where the fish are sometimes. Maybe I'll stop at 15 miles.
It looks like the rain has really churned things up. The Delaware River up north looked like chocolate milk with many massive chunks of debris and trees. I don't think I will be making the long run north tomorrow. It may clear up by Saturday but I will be home by then.

My plan for tomorrow is to hit some spots in the back bays and then toss some bucktails around some structure at high tide. If things really flatten out tonight I may make a trolling run out of the inlet into the ocean and heading up north. Either way I plan on enjoying some time out on the water.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
It looks like the rain has really churned things up. The Delaware River up north looked like chocolate milk with many massive chunks of debris and trees. I don't think I will be making the long run north tomorrow. It may clear up by Saturday but I will be home by then.

My plan for tomorrow is to hit some spots in the back bays and then toss some bucktails around some structure at high tide. If things really flatten out tonight I may make a trolling run out of the inlet into the ocean and heading up north. Either way I plan on enjoying some time out on the water.

any way you decide to fish...it will be a great day on the water..im praying to get out for the first time this weekend...might even bring a rod with me:eek:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Please post any results. I plan on heading down Saturday and I am hoping to give the lower bay a shot. I am out of Cape May Marina and I am not making a 40 mile run for striper

·
Registered
20,358 Posts

I hear ya! I'm wondering how it will look Saturday.

For the last couple years the lower has been nothing but dogs for me in the spring. Late in the run I'll stay near CM and use bunker, but clamming I like to head north.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fished from 7:00 am to noon. Started in the ocean just out of CMI and heading up to HI. The water temperature was about 54 degrees. I had no hits and saw no activity of any kind for 6 miles up the beach. I tried some back bay locations on the last of the incoming and then went to some structure that I know holds fish year round at the top of the tide. Unfortunately I was boarded by the Coast Guard just as the time was right at my spot. The Coasties were very nice and they did a complete check and I got an A+ report card. The good news is I shouldn’t be boarded for the rest of the year. It was a beautiful day but I could not stay for the outgoing which I suspect may have been productive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts