BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is that time of year and the oil in the lower unit looks a little milky. the image below was taken when the oil was draining. Some of it was milky and some normal looking. Any thoughts on this? I did see some shavings of metal but not much at all. Anyone know how much a vacuum and pressure test would be? What is the best thing to do?

Thanks

http://img189.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=62046_DSC_0599_122_248lo.JPG

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
That don't look too good...
As far as I know, any metal shavings at all unless the engine is being broken in is bad news.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Milkly Oil

If there are no metal shaving in the oil :confused:
Do or get the lower unit pressure tested. Water can be get in from around a seal. Could be simple fix if you can do it yourself
Good LUCK

·
Registered
14,462 Posts
Good price i'd pay it will only cost more later.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Looks like you and Heidi Klum both have something in common....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I talked to someone there earlier who told me you are about 2 weeks behind and maybe less if i just bring the lower unit. I really don't want to miss the early bass season up here. I can bring it down. Any estimation when you think it could be ready?

Thanks.

P.S. It is a pretty long ride from up here. I just would rather give my buisness to someone who goes above and beyond. There is only one dealer up here i would work with and they aren't taking any more buisness right now.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
If you just bring us the gearcase your looking at 2 days.. Or if you can bring it in first thing by 9 on Wed. or Thur we can have it done that same day if you want to spend a few hours in Cape May or somewhere else down here.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
how old tht etec??
im not sold on them things i got a buddy tht does nutin but ***** about his

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
barnaclebillsmarine said:
If you just bring us the gearcase your looking at 2 days.. Or if you can bring it in first thing by 9 on Wed. or Thur we can have it done that same day if you want to spend a few hours in Cape May or somewhere else down here.
WOW!!! can't beat that service turn around!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Bill. I will call you this weekend to confirm the day if i can get down there (Just had a baby). It is a 2001 to answer the other guys question.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
BACK TO REELALITY said:
how old tht etec??
im not sold on them things i got a buddy tht does nutin but ***** about his
hh

He has a Ficht and not a ETEC. As for ETEC problems we really do not see anything major. Has there been some problems sure there has. But so does every other outboard maker out there. What size ETEC does your friend have and what problems is he seeing. If you post or email his serial number I can look into what is going on with it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Talk about service. That is something else. Unheard of in the service industry. Good guys for sure. Capt.Matt

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Mine was milky also when I changed it after only 30hrs at end of last season...I did not put the in boat untill mid July and just before I put it in I put a new pump in it .SO now after little use and a new pump do you think I still have to change the water pump when I have it resealed......No running in low water or no sign of fishing line around prop.... JOE BB or anyone have input...1999 150 Rude carb

Joe R.
20ft Classic SeaCraft
Susie II

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I would install a impeller kit rather then the entire pump kit. I know your far from us but I would be willing to work some kind of trade for some nautical items. We were gonna come up there a few weeks ago on a Monday but no one answeared the phone and I did not want to make the trip up unless I knew for sure you were open.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts