BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a HDS unit but wonder if I should get a base map unit as opposed to spending the extra money for the one with Insight mapping because I plan to get a Navionics card anyway........Thanks, Greg.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Both

If you can afford the difference, I would go with both the installed Insight and the Navionics chip. On my HDS-10, I have found some locations where the Insight map has more detail than the Navionics, like the Cape May and Wildwood reefs. Additionally, many of the electronics stores and on-line dealers keep the Insight units in stock, but must order the less popular Basemap units, so pricing may not be that much different.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. There are some great deals now on Generation 1 units with closeout prices and 200.00 rebates from Lowrance. Just trying to save myself some money so I can add a LSS-1 structure scan unit at a later time as opposed to buying a bundled package.

·
Registered
829 Posts
base map is pretty unimpressive it will show bouys and some depths, but not depth lines, no reefs marked....i had a garmin that was pretty good the maps is came with were way better than the "basemap" on the lowrance, but was too small for me so I bought a hds-7 on a sale(it was a basemap) to see what it was like, definitely going to get better maps for it

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
base map is pretty unimpressive it will show bouys and some depths, but not depth lines, no reefs marked....i had a garmin that was pretty good the maps is came with were way better than the "basemap" on the lowrance, but was too small for me so I bought a hds-7 on a sale(it was a basemap) to see what it was like, definitely going to get better maps for it
Yea the base maps are mostly useless... some guys have the chips from older units so you can use them with a base map unit.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Thanks for all the info. guy's. I think I'll be getting the Insight unit.
You need a Platinum chart that comes with fish n chip. Insight is really bad when compared to Platinum. Remember that was my job before Daiwa. I played with all of these mapping softwares at length. But, do what you want!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need a Platinum chart that comes with fish n chip. Insight is really bad when compared to Platinum. Remember that was my job before Daiwa. I played with all of these mapping softwares at length. But, do what you want!
Chris, I will talk to you further about this at the Somerset show. Thanks for the reply........Greg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.