BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're here and have WiFi... Had to come early for weather reasons. The window for crrossing was small and though tired from litterally no sleep we were loaded and out the inlet by mid morning yesterday. First 36 miles were glass... Next 30 got bumpy but pushing the stick forward ate the 4' head chop right up. Cleared with no issues and carried on to a spot I wanted to explore.
Dropped a spread of mixed plastic and had a slob wahoo blast us within the first mile. Not ready to deal with packing any fish yet we let that one go. A cuda then a couple mystery toothy bites over the next half hour. The lat line with a feather was hammered and figured tuna. Til a couple hundred yards later when it jumped...:eek: A dandy sail was released and with weather isues closing in we pounded our way the 26 more miles to Lucaya.
Boat is at one end of marina and room at the other. Oh well my legs need the work.
My deckhand and I had a good dinner in the market place. Damn I wish I had brought my camera... Some quality people of true need to be photographed walking around.
Camera finally unpacked today. Hope to find two of them again for photo op. Tough to descibe. One I guess I could nick name leopard lady. The other I'm pretty sure was Tammy Faye resurected!:rolleyes:
Stay tuned to this thread as Lucaya, Spring Beak, Bacardi Tournament and Compleat all collide....:D

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Compleat ,

Thanks for the invite buddy :( ;)

Good luck.. Catch em up!

Calm seas, Tight lines, And a CHIT LOAD OF FISH!!

I will say a prayer for ya!

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost forgot to invite myself...:D

Something linkys about to happen under my balcony... They set up a steel nabd. Some movie cameras. A hoop type trapeeze... Then three beds next to the pool...:confused:

Looks kinda like a set up for some circus except for the beds... maybe an adult flick?:eek: :D

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
sounds like it could be an interesting night!!!

Good luck fishing man!

Send the pics u got to take for all the releases after you fish! would like to check it out!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Compleat,
My buddies will be there on Jeff Atwell's "Press Time" they are defending champs and say hello to the boys if you see them there. I am invited to fish, but unless a miracle happrens, I am not going to be able to make it this year.
Captn Joe

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That boat has a list and is throwin wake at the dock...:D

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bad squall line has us pinned to the dock... will get out and just practice pull a few spreads locally as going far wouldn't be wise. Weather looks good for tourney but crap til then...

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Spent 3 years and three spring breaks in Lucaya Beach in the late 80's. I lived right on the canal in back of the shopping/eating area across from the Sheraton. All I can say is I'm lucky I'm still alive and healthy:D

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We only had a short practice run today... Doubled up on something that absolutely destroyed our lures and nearly spooled 50w outfits before pulling the hooks...:eek:

As the evening has been moving on its been getting spicier and spicier all over the marina and hotel grounds...:D

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Send pics of anythign! let us be a little more envious! GEEZ!! some consideration for the freezing cold wet folks up here! :D :p

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:) Wifi way bad... Goes in and out and tough to upload I have some good ones of some "scenery" I hope to get up on Wednesday... (Lay day)...:)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Paul - You hit the lottery and got the "scenic room". if you can't post those pics on here you can always email them to me. :D

Why did you release the wahoo? I would've boxed it and eaten it that night, giving out the extra steaks to the marina staff. For that matter, with all those scissor-teeth how do you release a wahoo safely?

I've only caught two wahoo on my POS so far; an 18 pounder and a 55 pounder. Both went into the box and stayed there.

Catch-All

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Compleat, thanks for the recomendation of the Bomerang in Sailfish marina. We fished on Saturday 3/8. Tough conditions with the wind howling at 25+ The boat ate it up though. Ended 1-2 on Kings(to20lbs) 1 slob bonita and lost a nice sail. Not many fish caught that day. Ended the night at reef grill . Great trip and thanks for the help. Brad

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
What boat is he?

hey andy i see that Sid from the certifiable is over there!

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yesterday...Rat blue out of the gate knocked down a rigger. Didn't eat. Missed a white a while later and finally got a sail to put us in a five way tie for second. Way rough and 70 mile run to our spot...
Today...A zillion cudas a slob houndfish was all that visited the boat. Raised a good blue late in the day and the circle didn't find anything to grab... Three whites caught and two sails shuffled the standings some but nobody in what could be called a commanding lead. Been slow. Hope it improves...

Boat is Mirage...

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joe
Doing all I can. One fish out of the lead right now. Having our Raymarine E120 Crap the bed on the way to the spot the first morning has sucked. We can't back track to a hot spot. We can't find what depth the bites have been or for that matter how deep we are. You know how tight that spot is dropping from 60 to 2000+ in a couple hundred yards. Too deep and its a desert. Too shallow and the cudas destroy us. For that matter try running 70 miles to hit a lone marker the size of a telephone pole with a compas and watch as your only tools...:rolleyes:
Ray couldn't do any warranty stuff without the unit so we had to fly to marsh harbor today to get a new one... You'ld think paying $16,000 for whats supposed to be the best unit out there would get some kind of customer support but nooooooooo.:mad: Laid out $4000 plus flight, stamp tax and 5% card surcharge to get a new display unit. Seems to be working now. Just hope they give no caca when I get back about warranty.
At least I can put the white cane withe the red tip away ... for now... and maybe finish rounding these buggers up for a win...:)

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Capt Paul,

Ahh, I feel your pain, the same thing happened to me at Reef Cup two years ago, with Northstar Unit on Bertram, the brain shorted out due to chafe in the wire run beheind bulkhead to Transducer & power. There was no seperate system.

My crew called me yesterday, they are fishless, but partying hard and sounded like they were really enjoying Port Lucaya. I heard ht enew marina owners will not allow a special party at weeks end.:mad:

Hopefully you see one today or tomorrow, in the fishless desert of early March Bahamas
Captn Joe

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took the lead today adding the biggest white I ever even heard of. 150 class!!!!:eek: Rum Bum and Us each have a hundred points but we have them on time...
That fish had a pointy dorsal and pecs but round anal. Even the marine biologist had a tough time and flipped a coin. The staff though called it white. I'll live with it.
Brutal run again today. Tore some stuff up on the boat including wrecking the battery for the electronics so back to being blind... One short day left. Cross your fingers...:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts