BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving up from a 25' single screw. Looked at a 2000 Luhrs 320 Open express with 330hp Cummins 6bta's (900hrs). Looks like a great boat for the $$. Boat has a great fishing layout and appears to be well maintained for a 14 year old boat. I did not see any visible stress cracks on the deck, gunnels and engine compartment was extremely clean. Questions: Does anybody have any info fishing on these boats? What kind of cruise and max speeds should I expect? What kind of fuel burn (mpg / GPH)? How does the boat fish on a drift? How much in annual maintenance costs should I expect doing the work myself? How does the boat handle in rough weather? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe these boats sold new in the mid 200-300k. I think I can pick this boat up for in the mid to upper double digits.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I found that a lot of people only want to know what you paid for your boat. I get the same question on a consistent basis. With that behind us, I fished on one of these boats and I thought they handled the seas nicely. The design is excellent for trolling and chunking because it is an open concept. I looked hard at these boats before buying my boat but two things that turned me off was the cheap hardware and the fact they were diesel. I really wanted my next boat to be twin outboards (next boat will be twin diesels). If you can get the boat for the price point you can afford and it passes a survey then I would say do what makes you happy.

I see a lot of these boats around, so they have to be doing something right.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I believe these boats sold new in the mid 200-300k. I think I can pick this boat up for in the mid to upper double digits.
Spicy
I moved a few Luhrs for our local dealer mostly 38 opens and a few 41.

Took a new 2012 38 to Miami. Longest 5 days of my life. To much to list.

I dont think the 32 open was sold new in the mid 200 - $300 k range.
The 2012 38 open with yanmars sold for in the low 300k. I think $310 k.

There is a reason they are inexpensive.
Take her for a sea trial and see if she meets your needs. Then have her surveyed. If you like it - go for it.

Good luck.
Rick

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I found that a lot of people only want to know what you paid for your boat. I get the same question on a consistent basis. With that behind us,

I see a lot of these boats around, so they have to be doing something right.
I am guessing this comment was unessessarily directed at me.
My idea of a good price for a Luhrs and the posters idea for a used Luhrs might be light years apart.
As a guy that has professionally transported Luhrs yatchs and has somewhat of a knowledge of their value, I was attempting to assist the poster.

I really could care less what anyone pays for their boat!

And as far as why you see so many around may be because they are inexpensive compared to better made, more seaworthy vessels in their class.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Knot Again for all the information. It's always good to get it from someone who actually owned, operated and fished the boat. We are under contract now and as long as everything goes well with the survey you should be seeing it on the edge real soon.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
well atleast post up the cruise numbers and fuel burn ... it is archived so when someone asked for numbers from google this thread comes up ,,i am interested in the numbers anyway:huh:

·
Registered
426 Posts
well atleast post up the cruise numbers and fuel burn ... it is archived so when someone asked for numbers from google this thread comes up ,,i am interested in the numbers anyway:huh:
Cruise 22 knts, fuel burn 1 gal / mile WOT 26 knts @ 2850rpm

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
thank you I was hoping better then 1 mpg ..always looking for my next boat looking for bigger and better mpg lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Little Better For Me

let me know how that works out for you :)
I have 3 years running the 32 Open with Yanmar 370's. I get a little better fuel burn, closer to 1.2-1.25 and cruise of 23.5. Feel free to email me if I can help at all with other questions. Boat is a good sea boat, on some rough conditions the windshield vs. front curtain makes a big difference to keep decent visibility. For trolling, I really like the upper helm and almost exclusivley troll from there with teaser reels if I have enough people in the cockpit. If you are used to an outboard boat's drift it does take used to getting used to as with most inboard engines. This one drifts side-to and with a slight drift to forward so bait placement can get a little tricky. When I moved up from a 31' center console, I do miss the ability to turn the engines and get a stern-to drift. Made for better drift fishing. Been fixing some smaller stress cracks on my 2005, nothing terrible. The cheap hardware is a mix, some heavy stuff, some could have been heavier.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had mine now for 8 years. Its 1998 w/ Cat 3116's. Posted fuel burn is correct w/ speed and RPM. Very dry boat, nice hull flair. Like anything else you need to stay on top of the maintenance. Its pretty good bang for your buck as opposed to other boats .Check out the Hull Truth and the Luhrs owners website for some interesting info. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
I've had mine now for 8 years. Its 1998 w/ Cat 3116's. Posted fuel burn is correct w/ speed and RPM. Very dry boat, nice hull flair. Like anything else you need to stay on top of the maintenance. Its pretty good bang for your buck as opposed to other boats .Check out the Hull Truth and the Luhrs owners website for some interesting info. Good luck with her.
I had the same boat with 3116's I had 4 blade props and tuned them 3 or 4 times 1.2 nm 24 knots. I liked the boat pounded a little in a head sea, rocked a bit on the drift I think it has a 24 degree dead rise but I felt safe 85 nm out been out in some 6 footers for the money you can't beat it. I would prefer cummins parts are cheaper and more readily available.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
when someone asks questions about a boat usually means they don't know a lot about that boat. Then they say it's looks like a good boat for the money?? If you say what they are asking it helps anyone who knows something about that boat. Most don't care what you pay but your asking for advice.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I like the 32's, the one I was on drifted really well, I think it has a 13' beam on it. They have a excellent fishing layout, with a roomy cabin, it's not going to handle a big head sea like the big name deep V's. Some fit and finish issues, one with 370 Yanmars or 330 Cummins sure would be preferred over the 3116's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replys. The Luhrs boat did not pass survey due to lots of moisture in the hull and some other unforeseen problems. Moving on....Now looking at older bertrams 35-38 SF with updated power plants.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Thanks for the replys. The Luhrs boat did not pass survey due to lots of moisture in the hull and some other unforeseen problems. Moving on....Now looking at older bertrams 35-38 SF with updated power plants.
So now you are tank shopping! I love old 80s Berts! The 38 special is a damn nice looking boat but if I recall some hulls had some issues. Transom or stringers or something?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts