1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I have the same question as Re-Bait. I read a book about this but never tried it.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
From our experience fishing for both stripers and black drum the best catches have always been around the new and full moons. It certainly holds true for us when fishing the bay for drum and the Cape May Rips for stripers. When the tide runs the hardest, we catch the best. We only do limited chunking trips for stripers so others that fish this way may not agree but for us it is around the new or full moon.
The best day we ever had for stripers and drum was last May 4th on the full moon fishing with surf clams anchored up the bay. The slowest fishing has been dates between the moons when the tide runs the slowest. Each 24-hour period has two high and two low tides. They do not run the same in each period and we always try to pick the hardest running of the two if possible. Many times this is impossible because the hardest running tide is in the middle of the night but if we can, we try to schedule our trips around this. Other things play an important role also. Wind direction and speed, outgoing and incoming tides and water temperatures. Example: We fish in late May and early June for large stripers at night and the best catches have always been around the new or full moon and on the outgoing tide that brings warmer Bay water to the rips at night. The warmer bay water brings the spike weakfish to the rips and that is what the big stripers are feeding on as they leave the Bay and head North for the summer.
Capt John

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I think these times center around when the sun and/or moon are directly OVER head, or in their "major" cycles, as the charts call it.

My Garmin handheld displays this time for my position and whenever I announce that now it's "time" to catch fish, NOTHING happens. :eek:

But I'll keep checking. The fla sporstman has run the tables for the last 30 years! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts