BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Interesting how you read that the larger fish are traveling north hence the so called reasoning behind the 16" size for delaware, maryland, and virginia. With NJ,NY, and Conn. getting 18" yet mass gets 16"??? Do these so called "larger" fish just decide to congregate off the coast of north jersey or something? I am no scientist but I call bull$hit...

·
Registered
395 Posts
it definitely makes the new jersey regs look bad when we get the shaft and it also makes fish and wildlife look bad as what is good for delaware should be good for new jersey... everyone should have the same regs in the bay ..the regs are not out yet come on asmfc and fish and wildlife its not too late to look like you know whats up!!!! 4 or 5 @ 16" makes me think you know what your doing!!!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Interesting how you read that the larger fish are traveling north hence the so called reasoning behind the 16" size for delaware, maryland, and virginia. With NJ,NY, and Conn. getting 18" yet mass gets 16"??? Do these so called "larger" fish just decide to congregate off the coast of north jersey or something? I am no scientist but I call bull$hit...
Years before we(NJ) started getting hammered/punished by reduced quota's AND increased size limits on Flounder ...say 1970's when i started fluke fishing and lived in WW for a few years I read a couple articles/scientifis studies on Flounder migration patterns...It IS definitely a fact that when fluke migrate from the ocean canyon shelf (wintering grounds) back inshore in April they have a tendency to swim back in a WNW direction. I think that Long Island - the way it is situated geographically - alters the WNW pattern to a West Only one. In essence - the fluke that spawned in SC will eventually migrate into NJ - NY inshore waters --if IT/They survive that long --it's a slight more Northerly direction every succeeding year that A FLUKE (the same Flounder) migrates back inshore. The main reason is the Ocean+Gulf Stream current..which 'pushes' them slightly further north each. Like all migratory fish flounder try to reach the area where they spawned,but these currents take them further North. North of LI geograpically and current wise- the fish migrate more true West in the Spring.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Guys , we can ***** all we want on the Barn and feel better BUT until we get off our *** and start hammering our politicians to get involved in this mess we will continue to get screwed. NY fishermen got their Governor,US Senator ,and Congressman involved and they accomplished the mission
NY has consistently overfished their qouta with liberal regualtions and than a few years ago it caught up to them and the FEDS hit hem hard with size as large as 21" for one year..... NY decided they needed to get a hunk of NJ allocation and their politicians got behind their effort and we got what we got in 2014
NJ Governor and politicans NEED to hear from recreational fishermen,,,,,,They all got my letter. JCAA has written 2 good letters to Governor and NJ Senators and Congressmen BUT they need to get overwhelmed with letters on the subject...... Takes 10 minutes and a stamp
Bitching on the Barn will get you nothing and NY will keep winning

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
they were too busy battling for bunker last year now they're tired from the fight.most rec guys just want to ***** about the commercial not the real issues with nmfs and nj biologist we can't blame anyone but ourselves for what has happened to our limits constant infighting will never help the cause.we voted for these people and this is what we get for it

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Wow, Massachusetts will have a 5 fish, 16 inch minimum as it lobbied to be it's own region. Why can't NJ lobby to be it's own region?

http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_ID=770&ParentCat=19
BUT - They got screwed on Sea Bass regs..

For 2014 the following recreational limits will apply for black sea bass:
Private Angler:
May 17 – September 15
8 fish, 14 inch minimum

For-Hire:
May 17 – September 15
8 fish, 14 inch minimum

For-Hire Special Access Program (LOA required*):
May 17 – May 31
8 fish, 14 inch minimum
September 1 – September 30
20 fish, 14 inch minimum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.