BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great day on the Miss Belmar.Great job Capt Alan and crew. On the fish all day. 50/50 Macks and Herring. 3/4 filled a 162qt cooler by myself. Over 300 fish!!!! Meet some new barn members. Weather was perfect. Low winds and waves. The Barners were out in force:fighting:. Told you Capt Alan we would be on the site telling everyone what a great job you and your crew did!!!!!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Around 80 but had room. All the big coolers was worst part. . Capt Alan said some people will be there by 2am to get good spots. All the spots were good today

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Awesome trip!! I got well over 150 macks and herring!!! Nice weather, great crew, and not too crowded. Couldn't ask for a better day!!
I know that you can't be talking about today :huh:

Today was jam packed with people, could barely fish, everyone seemed to be tangled with everyone else all day, tempers started to flair

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I know that you can't be talking about today :huh:

Today was jam packed with people, could barely fish, everyone seemed to be tangled with everyone else all day, tempers started to flair
JZ....i was on Friday's trip with Double G and Celticcross. Sounds like you went on Sat. My guess with the forecast was that it was gonna be pretty crowded.

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
JZ....i was on Friday's trip with Double G and Celticcross. Sounds like you went on Sat. My guess with the forecast was that it was gonna be pretty crowded.
I wish I could have gone on Friday. Normally Friday is a pretty easy day to skip out on work, but this week I had way too much to do.

Saturday was a tough day to fish. We got their at 5:00, there were plenty of guys in the parking lot already. The boat was jam packed by about 6:15, and we pulled away from the dock at 6:30.

I have never been on a boat that was so full of people. Literally every rod holder was full, with a 1 rod per person limit.

With everyone's cooperation, tt wouldn't have been so bad, except for a few select people who continued to cause problems.

A few idiots on my side of the boat INSISTED on fishing with cut bait, even though we were bailing both mackerel and herring with just bare teaser rigs. Every 5 minutes or so one of them would hook into up a huge dogfish, which would then swim in circles until it was tangled with 20 other lines. I can't figure out why the captain or the mates wouldn't put a stop to this :huh:

There were a few guy on the other side of the boat that weren't using enough weight, even though the captain made multiple announcements on the PA that everyone should be using at least 10 or 12 oz. Needless to say they kept drifting under the boat, hooking everyone's lines on the other side, then reeling like they hooked moby dick. Eventually I went to go talk to them to see if I could offer some suggestions (and bigger sinkers in case they didn't have any), but not a single word of English could be spoken among the entire group :mad:

When everyone was using enough weight, and dropping straight down, we were nailing the fish. Of course then you had the one group of jerks that felt the need to cast out (as if the bigger fish were 100 yards from the boat), and cast across 15 lines.

My brother gave up fishing about 1/2 way through the trip, but stood behind his spot next to me to give me a little buffer zone.

Overall we didn't do too bad, came home with about 100 fish between the 2 of us. If there were only 50 or so people on the boat, it could have very easily been a 300-400 fish day.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
JZ
When I fish party boats I normally limit it to the weekdays and hope for marginal weather. That usually keeps the rails open. What really turns me off is the lack of consideration. I had left a spool of leader on my tackle box. When I turned around some idiot decided to tie some mackerel rigs with my equipment. What was worse is that they had taken our seats that we had reserved with out equipment. But we got even. Before the boat headed back in we moved their stuff & settled in for a nap back to dock.
Sometimes I think that because they haven't mastered our language entitles them to be inconsiderate.
Things go so much better when you can strike up a good conversation and everybody is on the same page with party boat etiquette.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I wish I could have gone on Friday. Normally Friday is a pretty easy day to skip out on work, but this week I had way too much to do.

Saturday was a tough day to fish. We got their at 5:00, there were plenty of guys in the parking lot already. The boat was jam packed by about 6:15, and we pulled away from the dock at 6:30.

I have never been on a boat that was so full of people. Literally every rod holder was full, with a 1 rod per person limit.

With everyone's cooperation, tt wouldn't have been so bad, except for a few select people who continued to cause problems.

A few idiots on my side of the boat INSISTED on fishing with cut bait, even though we were bailing both mackerel and herring with just bare teaser rigs. Every 5 minutes or so one of them would hook into up a huge dogfish, which would then swim in circles until it was tangled with 20 other lines. I can't figure out why the captain or the mates wouldn't put a stop to this :huh:

There were a few guy on the other side of the boat that weren't using enough weight, even though the captain made multiple announcements on the PA that everyone should be using at least 10 or 12 oz. Needless to say they kept drifting under the boat, hooking everyone's lines on the other side, then reeling like they hooked moby dick. Eventually I went to go talk to them to see if I could offer some suggestions (and bigger sinkers in case they didn't have any), but not a single word of English could be spoken among the entire group :mad:

When everyone was using enough weight, and dropping straight down, we were nailing the fish. Of course then you had the one group of jerks that felt the need to cast out (as if the bigger fish were 100 yards from the boat), and cast across 15 lines.

My brother gave up fishing about 1/2 way through the trip, but stood behind his spot next to me to give me a little buffer zone.

Overall we didn't do too bad, came home with about 100 fish between the 2 of us. If there were only 50 or so people on the boat, it could have very easily been a 300-400 fish day.
Oh, believe me, we ran into the "inconsiderates" too;). Its amazing to me that people who don't speal a lick of english think they can do whatever they want:huh: And then you confront them and "no speaky english". Taking somethng that you know isn't yours is STEALING, english or no english. George, you are a better man than me, if it was my stuff, there probably would have been a scene.....i think it was probably 50/50 "inconsidetates" to "considerates" so we would have been covered:D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Around 80 but had room. All the big coolers was worst part. . Capt Alan said some people will be there by 2am to get good spots. All the spots were good today
The Captain of the Miss Belmar is Captain Jim (not Alan). He is a good guy.

The boat was crowded Friday but I am sure it was crazy on Saturday. I have fished the MBP when it was packed and it is doable but the people around you need to cooperate. If you are fishing under the boat you need more weight - you will be happier and the people on the other side of the boat will be happier. If you go do yourself a favor, bring a good sized conventional reel with Mono, Braid and Mack hooks do not mix, bring a minimum 8 ounces of lead plus some 12 - 16oz as well.
I was fishing on the boat on Friday, there were about 90 people on the boat. I was only tangled 2 times the whole trip and I was shoulder to shoulder the whole time. I like fishing under the boat as I have better control of my own destiny. I fish a Penn 330LD with 30lb mono and a 12+ oz sinker. When he gets into the deeper water, say 130+ I bump up the weight. I did not hook anyone on the opposite side of the boat but the guys on both sides of me were tangled very often and they would not listen and would not add more weight.

Fishing for Macks with cut bait is crazy - I would call that a dogfish magnet.

English is usually not the primary language on a Mack boat, you meet a whole lot of interesting people and a lot of diversity.

I filled my 128 Colman on Friday, it was a great trip in perfect weather.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Benn wanted to do one of these trips but because it would just cost too much for me to take off work to do it I was waiting for weekend. Doesn't sound like I will be going on a weekend.

Anyone has too many fresh let me know... i am around the corner...:D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
What do you guys do with all the mackerel?
I know you keep some for fluke bait but what about the other like 100 that aren't bait.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.