BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word? I have asked around and it seems to be spotty at best. Anyone running or here of any schools. I am trying to get my nephews out for there first mack trip. It is one of my vivid fishing memeories as a kid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too have great memories. This used to launch the fishing season for us.

I remember 1st time out we caught 80 fish. Took them home and were going to keep 60 for bait, and try to fillet 20 to eat; We ended up filleting SIXTY to eat, and kept ONLY 20 FOR BAIT.

My Dad loved strong tasting fish; my Mom would make fishcakes out of them so you still could taste the fish thru the potatoes onions etc.

Would catch 5 at a time, no bait just a tube teaser jig.

Used to 1st catch them in Cape May;
then in Atlantic City (1st two weeks or last two weeks of April, I can't remember which)
the next two weeks would be Barnegat Vicinity.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mack used to be the rite of Spring for my son and I... have missed the last few years since he is in the workforce now, but we had some fun on them!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do the same thing making fish cakes. I steam the fillets and than rip e'm up witha fork and mix e'm with potatoes onion celery and garlic make a pattie and seer e'm in a pan.

·
Registered
46 Posts
OCR Sean said:
I do the same thing making fish cakes. I steam the fillets and than rip e'm up witha fork and mix e'm with potatoes onion celery and garlic make a pattie and seer e'm in a pan.
tha't exacly what mom did... once the fish was cooked, you could freeze the fish cakes and only had to heat them up and brown them.... we did bluefish like that too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have not heard anything

The past few years it has been a fast season (if any) and the fish are offshore.
I remember fishing w/ my dad; going out 5-10 miles.
It was great; he would let me skip a day from school (and we took some of my friends) and head out for the macs.
We would come home w/ a garbage barrel full.
Catching 4-5 each drop
Mac rigs (teasers) w/ a diamond jig at the bottom.
If we felt like it we would hang a pc of bait on the jig and drop below the macs for ling; (when was the last time you caught a ling?)
We would eat about 1/2 the fish and the rest would be bait.
We would get out 2-3 times per year.
It was truly the start of the fishing season.:)
I'm glad I had the experience, I"m not sure if I can say the same for my sons; we don't have the fish like that any more.:(

·
Registered
46 Posts
TunaTaker said:
The past few years it has been a fast season (if any) and the fish are offshore.
I remember fishing w/ my dad; going out 5-10 miles.
It was great; he would let me skip a day from school (and we took some of my friends) and head out for the macs.
We would come home w/ a garbage barrel full.
Catching 4-5 each drop
Mac rigs (teasers) w/ a diamond jig at the bottom.
If we felt like it we would hang a pc of bait on the jig and drop below the macs for ling; (when was the last time you caught a ling?)
We would eat about 1/2 the fish and the rest would be bait.
We would get out 2-3 times per year.
It was truly the start of the fishing season.:)
I'm glad I had the experience, I"m not sure if I can say the same for my sons; we don't have the fish like that any more.:(
right. never had to go more than 5-10 miles off.... used to be able to see an oil slick on a calm day indicating where the fish were.... used to only have a 2 week run at them as they would have moved too far up the beach by then...

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I just keep my fingers crossed and wait... if the bluefish show up, we missed them.

I was supposed to put in yesterday but had to push back to Monday... if they show over the weekend out at the tabletop or something, I am going to have a meltdown...

·
Registered
188 Posts
wOW that sounds like fun.... I never had the pleasure to catch some machs and man do i love fish cakes... if anyone sees a school please let me know would love to give it a shot

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I was a kid I actually remember catching them from the beach in the early summer quite often. They were a cool looking fish back then compared to the skates and dogs I usedto catch.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We went blackfishing today and read heavy schools of fish that appeared to be mackeral 3-4 miles east of Barnegat inlet. We did not have any mackeral rigs on the boat, so I can't confirm it, but there was lots of bird action, slicks on the water, and 45 degree temperatures......

Not sure what else it could have been.......

JT

·
Registered
167 Posts
thanks for info would like to sail sunday if the seas will allow i don't know what kind of sounder you have but normally i have found that macs look like horizontal dashes on my scope

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
jt said:
We went blackfishing today and read heavy schools of fish that appeared to be mackeral 3-4 miles east of Barnegat inlet. We did not have any mackeral rigs on the boat, so I can't confirm it, but there was lots of bird action, slicks on the water, and 45 degree temperatures......

Not sure what else it could have been.......

JT
Could also be herring. They come around right before the macks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I use to go every year and load up on macks. It was an annual event around April 2, each season on the old Porgy with Capt. Paul Thompson. He put oi on the fish, I would tie two Mack rigs and fish with six hooks at a time. Sometimes pulled up six fish at a time. My best trip I caught 256 myself. Cape. Paul had to help me carry the cooler. I had enough bait for two years!. Now it seems that the schools are much smaller and are way offshore and stay south. It seems like you get a better shot during the winter in North Jersey on the Paramount or Jamaica, these fish are bigger too.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
we fished on Friday and heard a Report from a charter capt. that hehad mackeral 17mi off AC. We marked a ton of stuff on the way out to some wrecks for tog but did not drop anything down.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Tunachunker said:
Mackeral fishcakes, brings back memories, good stuff!
HOW ABOUT SMOKED MACKEREL ?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Mack Time

From good sources, it is Mack time and may not last long as they are headed up the coast at a pretty good clip.
CM and AC area are reporting catches, off AC a little t closer than 17 mile, maybe 11 or so, at last report
Blackfinjerry

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was never crazy about the taste of mackeral, but I used to love to catch em. Maybe, we were cooking them wrong!
I remember not bothering to pull them up on the charter boats, till you had at least three on the line. I had a blue hit the last mack on the diamond jig when I was about 12, and decided that fishing for blues was the way to go. Still give me a thrill to hook a nice blue fish, with a light set up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts