BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took our kayak out for the first time today. Wow, did I learn a lot. Ha.

First, I was SOAKED after a few minutes. My hunch was that the paddles I purchased are too short. There was a nice lady who claimed to have given kayak lessons at the park who was at the ramp when I brought the boat back in, and saw me dripping wet. She confirmed my suspicion that with my height and the width of the yak, I need longer paddles.

Like Barrell mentioned several weeks ago, rookies like me need practice. I adjusted my paddle stroke many times and saw advantages and disadvantages each time. I am sure I was digging in too deep and did my best to adjust to a more shallow stroke.

What I REALLY enjoyed was finally using a fishfinder. Just like you'd expect, almost every fish in this lake was suspended in 8 to 10 feet of water right off ledges. What an incredibly helpful piece of technology! Unfortuantely the lake I used for practice is posted until trout season, so I did not get to wet a line today. I had to throw those fishing rods back in the truck under the watchful eyes of a game warden.

Attached is a pic of the yak and one of those interesting FF readouts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear great things about the Hobie - I am sure you love it! I wanted this larger kayak so I can bring my boys with me. I wouldn't mind getting a Hobie when the boys are big enough for their own craft.

There are splash rings on the paddle but I swamped 'em

...this lady on the shore said that you never need to bring the paddle blade above your shoulder, and I am sure I did on almost every stroke. Ha. Well, practice practice....

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
I hear great things about the Hobie - I am sure you love it! I wanted this larger kayak so I can bring my boys with me. I wouldn't mind getting a Hobie when the boys are big enough for their own craft.

There are splash rings on the paddle but I swamped 'em

...this lady on the shore said that you never need to bring the paddle blade above your shoulder, and I am sure I did on almost every stroke. Ha. Well, practice practice....
The lady on shore is incorrect..paddling is actualy complicated and takes two years to master. If you paddle "shallow" like she recomends you are doing all "sweep" or turning strokes and the kayak will want to wander right and left. A good "forward" stroke requires the blade be over your head and the shaft be almost at a vertical. You push with the upper hand instaead of pulling with the lower. If you bought the kayak new the dealer should have gone over all this with you and taught you some basics.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Barrell: Got this craft used at a price I couldn't resist - thus no free lessons.

If you recommend holding the paddle well above my head, then do you have any thoughts on why I got SOAKED? Water was clearly running down the paddle shaft.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Barrell: Got this craft used at a price I couldn't resist - thus no free lessons.

If you recommend holding the paddle well above my head, then do you have any thoughts on why I got SOAKED? Water was clearly running down the paddle shaft.
Are your splash rings all the way up to the blade? They need to be a little closer to your hand so they don't go below the surface of the water. What they do really has nothing to do with splash, they help catch MOST of the water that runs down the shaft of the paddle. They're not going to keep you dry, but they're an improvement. You're going to get wet paddling, that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Are your splash rings all the way up to the blade? They need to be a little closer to your hand so they don't go below the surface of the water. What they do really has nothing to do with splash, they help catch MOST of the water that runs down the shaft of the paddle. They're not going to keep you dry, but they're an improvement. You're going to get wet paddling, that's just the way it is.
Thanks for the tip. Mine were all the way down to the blades, and it didn't seem like they were doing much. Now I know better.

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
There are a lot of suttle things that a good paddler does, thats why it takes years to realy get good at it. One thing I used to do in the olden days (before footdrives) was to flick the paddle out of the water as it came up behind me. This threw a lot of the water back off the blade before the blade came up over my headAgain it takes two years to become an intermediate paddler. It takes two minutes to master the Hobie, thats why they are so popular.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.