BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally I make 100 bucktails over the winter for the upcoming season. Well, the weather has been so cold this winter that I just finished 400! Come on spring, I'm afraid I'll be suffering from lead poisoning soon! Here's a few pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
You shoud be fishing already!!!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Normally I make 100 bucktails over the winter for the upcoming season. Well, the weather has been so cold this winter that I just finished 400! Come on spring, I'm afraid I'll be suffering from lead poisoning soon! Here's a few pics:

I like the stand! where did you get it? or how did you make it?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got that stand 35 yrs ago from a friend of mine that had a tackle shop and taught me how to make bucktails. Just an old display stand/rack. Here are a couple of pix of the mult-colored jigs I made last year. The nuke chick really worked well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
so for your double colors you are dipping half the bucktail in one color of the powder coat letting dry and then dipping it a second time on the other half of the bucktail? I'm making bucktails myself. Are you curing the paint a second time in the oven? If so do the colors ever run (into eachother)and make a mess in the oven? 15mis on 350 right?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't use powder coat paints, I use vinyl paint. Dip twice in white and then once in whatever color.

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
Do you have a problem with the vinyl paint on the jigs sticking to each other in the tackle box? I'd much rather use that over the powder paint.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They used to stick sometimes. Now I use a sealer, 2 coats, and let them dry for a few days in the sun before I bag them for my boxes.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
The life of the retired lol...hope all is well!!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Steve, all is well except for being stuck inside for so long. Ever see The Shining?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
How many deer tails does it take to do 400?
If sparsed out right about 50 or so depending on size of course --if your doing all 8 oz. jigs about 80--small jigs like 3/4 1 oz. i get about 15-20 per tail depending on tail size.
Do you have a problem with the vinyl paint on the jigs sticking to each other in the tackle box? I'd much rather use that over the powder paint.

Use CSI coatings vinyl sealer on vinyl paint--never on acrylics as it will eat the paint off and melt it. For water based paints or acrylics use CSI SEAL COAT a different formula that works well for those type of paints..paint your jigs--when dried attach eyes then do first coat---after dried then tie your hair---finsish dressed jig and threads with 2nd coat, seals and locks all the thread and works very well.

Nice job on the nuke chicken --Just remember i'm the originator
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
apalmer - I didn't know you made nuke chix. I did so well the nuke gulp that I thought I'd try to match their pattern. I also make jigs that look like my friend's favorite sports team colors. I am not a business and I make these for my family and friends.

philjam - I don't know how many tails I use. I buy 25 at a time and use until getting low and resupply. Something to do for an old retired guy trying to make winter pass quicker.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts