BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else see the report on fisherman headquarters. Pretty cool, couldnt imagine hooking into a 400 pound fish like that when fishing for sea bass. Thats why salt water fishing is the best, you never know what you can hook into.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Wow that's a surprise a Mako in 51 degree water..

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Just look at his tale. That is the quick tell.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's the report from Fishermans Headquarters:
"Yesterday, Ricardo B. and friends went on the Doris Mae IV for a long run Big Sea Bass trip. The weather made for a perfect day on the ocean. They had lots of Big Sea Bass and then the surprise... one of his buddies latched on to something big and the fight was on. After what seemed to be forever, the fish broke water close to the boat. All who saw it, identified it as a big Mako. Estimates were that the shark was close to 400 pounds. Never landed, but it was close. Water temperature at the boat was 51F. We have received more reports from anglers on the boat and the basic report is, "that was one awesome fish"."

Mako or not it musy have been a great fight!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Ahh, the big one that got away huh? Why does that always seem to be the case? I'd bet the fish wasn't an ounce over 200lbs. Fish length and weight always have a tendency to double when there's no evidence, no matter how many people saw it. Kinda like the supposed 600lb+ Thresher that was hooked into and lost off of Shark River Inlet by those guys fishing w/ 20lb test and wire leaders for blues this past summer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
CAM--THRESHER'S ARE ONE OF THE MOST OVERGUESSED WEIGHT-- FISH(SHARK).
Yeah I know, the fact that the tail is almost as long as the body typically throws things way off. But who would honestly think they could fight a 600lb fish w/ 20lb test!? LOL...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Thats pretty cool,

Last spring, I think it was the begening of june,
I was at the cape may reef fishing for flounder
when Bam, My little Shimano Spheros with 12lb. test started screeming,about 75yds.away was this big splash,and you could see the belly of the shark, then a guy in a boat near the shark looked at us and said, did you see that Thresher! He said the tail was 6ft. long.

It came tords the boat,So i started reeling in.
Then he made a right turn and spooled me.

Just thought i`d share that with you guys.

·
Registered
897 Posts
my buddy was on that trip.said it had his heart pumping.he said shark was out of water putting on a show a few times.sounds like a mako.also,there were bluefish caught on that trip.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was out at the Rock Pile on the Desilu Tuesday banging the Big Seabass, when two Porbeagle Sharks est weight 200lb and 100lb six ft. long were harrasing our catch as we brought it to the top !! Quite a site !!
;) :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts