BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a walk out on the sodbanks behind OC last night. fished from about an hour before high water til about 2 hours or so after. Had some clam and herring with me but figured I would use mainly mackerel for blues. Snotty water and not even a tap. Last year at this time they were going nuts everywhere. had one line in for bass the whole time. I know skunks are inevitable, but last night, it was the last thing I expected. I may take my surf rod for a walk on the beach tonight, gotta clear my head of some stuff.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Dont sweat it. Its been slow for a while. I love hitting the beach for clarity. It works wonders!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
maybe rethink your way of fishing!!! if it worked last year does not mean it will work this year! you need to be able to read the water and the tides and work from there.every year can be differant,just spend some time on the water and learn from what you see..so many fishermen get caught up in that "it was like this last year" that they don't stop and look around to see what is going on around them.also bait fishing will just cost you time.if the fish are there they will hit a bucktail or plastic or whatever.you can cover more water with lures then you can with bait.if you sit all night with your rod in the water with some bait on it and you don't move or switch up to casting some lures,than you are just asking for a skunk!!just my two cents.matt

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
maybe rethink your way of fishing!!! if it worked last year does not mean it will work this year! you need to be able to read the water and the tides and work from there.every year can be differant,just spend some time on the water and learn from what you see..so many fishermen get caught up in that "it was like this last year" that they don't stop and look around to see what is going on around them.also bait fishing will just cost you time.if the fish are there they will hit a bucktail or plastic or whatever.you can cover more water with lures then you can with bait.if you sit all night with your rod in the water with some bait on it and you don't move or switch up to casting some lures,than you are just asking for a skunk!!just my two cents.matt

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Keith, I know what ya mean. I always lived close by in Cape May. There is no more serene feeling than being on the beach on a clear night under the stars. Got alot of personal stuff going on right now and I have had to force myself to even fish. Hopefully that will help. I stopped by and picked up some clam for the beach and a few shedders in case I decide to hit my perch spot later, I dunno, don't even feel like taking my rods w/ me. Maybe just a walk.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SR-1 You're right. I just had higher expectations for last night I guess. I have really bad luck with lures. Once the fluke bite gets stronger maybe I will try bucktails to start off with on the boat. When I was out last Saturday, the Duke of Fluke was out there and so was about a million other boats. I decided to hug the bank and go down to my perch spot. From what I heard, my slim 13 perch probably netted me (excuse the pun) more meat than what I would have gotten if I were flukin' it. Good info though, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
jrigzguy

hang in there man been thru a real bad time myself this week ut theres always time for fishin it helped me

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
ha
I SAW A KID AND HIS OLD MAN WITH A 15# OFF THE BOAT RAMP IN THE COOLER. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WRONG?

Just razzin you guys but the striper was real, witnessed yesterday so they are there, plus this season has been an extention of last for me, AWESOME!

Stripers are real tough in the back but I like blues and occasional fluke.

Cheers

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, SeaDevil.

Yeah, I ended up down near Beesley's Point. Figured maybe I would grab some perch. Ended up with 2 eels and 1 perch when I was packin up. I threw them all back and decided to call it a night. Something has got to give in my life soon, 'cause I normally hang in there and very rarely have ever just fished for an hour. I am totally not myself.

·
Registered
266 Posts
jRIGZguy
I fished behind OC on Thur & Sat without much success, but I did manage ONE keeper on both days plus two shorts sat and blues and misc junk on Thursday. I caught all fish with bucktail & spearing on Thur. On Sat all fish on bucktail w/squid & minnie. I tried both on both days plus bucktail and Mackerel..no luck with that though.
Good luck, and try tossing the bucktail...

Returned the keepers as one dosen't do a meal here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts