Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From AC Press:

Estell Manor man indicted in boat-sales scheme
By MADELAINE VITALE Staff Writer, (609) 272-7218
Published: Sunday, November 6, 2005
Updated: Sunday, November 6, 2005

MAYS LANDING-An Atlantic County grand jury has indicted an Estell Manor man in connection with a fraud scheme that netted him $200,000 in sales of boats, Atlantic County Prosecutor Jeffrey S. Blitz said Friday.

Gregory J. Thompson, 45, of Honest John Road, is charged with several counts of theft, motor vehicle title offenses, criminal simulation and writing a bad check.

Authorities believe that between June 2002 and June 2005, Thompson acted as a boat broker buying and selling boats. Three boat owners hired him to sell their vessels - one for $105,000; the others for $32,000 and $37,144.

Assistant Prosecutor Diane Ruberton presented the case to the grand jury Wednesday, Blitz said.

Thompson did sell the boats. However, he kept the money he collected from the buyers, Blitz said. Thompson also did not satisfy outstanding liens against the boats for the sellers, and the buyers never received the titles, Blitz said.

Kenneth Kimberly hired Thompson to sell a fourth boat. Thompson, trading as Margate Marine, issued a $28,969 check. But the check bounced, Blitz said.

Thompson also gave the buyers fraudulent temporary boat registrations, the prosecutor said.

The Atlantic County Prosecutor's Financial Crimes Unit conducted the investigation.

A theft of more than $75,000 is a second-degree crime. If convicted, Thompson faces five to 10 years in prison.

To e-mail Madelaine Vitale at The Press:

[email protected]

·
Registered
466 Posts
He sold a 32 cary for me in 2001,He gave me a 5000.00 deposit check which cleared.Greg showed up three days later with a $30,000.00 check and took the boat and also wanted the title I almost gave it to him [A real nice guy and it was a company check from margate marine]I decided to wait for check to clear,IT BOUNCED!! It took two months with threats from the state police,my wife[pit bull]and I to get the money and we drove him to the bank when he tried to give us another check to get cash if it wasn't there he was going to the police station. Hold on to the title until the sale is complete even if it's the pope

[ 11-06-2005, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: finslft ]

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thats unfortuatly just common sense. The best place for a transaction is the bank. I want cash,cash,cash, no cashiers checks, certified either they can put a stop on them at some banks. If its that much cash i will open an account at that bank so i can deposit it then transfer or the bank will transfer it for you for a small fee. Had someone get me long ago. Sold them a truck and gave him the title (he realy needed it for work) never gave me another dime. I finally got paid after 6 months of nagging the hell out of him and we ended up no longer being friends. Theres a pact of gypsies in philly that are passing out counterfiet cashiers checks. I have a friend who delivered material to a construction site and they paid his driver with a cashiers check when it was taken to the bank he found out it was counterfiet. The material was not for the job site he delivered to and he is know out $11,000 dollars for a truckload of hardwood.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Man I almost listed my albie with him about 5 years ago. He was a nice guy but something told me not to and Im glad I didnt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.