BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year I have a truck on the beach.

I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4. It's nice.

What are the tricks to driving on the beach?

I've noticed that if my front wheels are turned, the truck will sometimes still follow the previous tracks in the sand.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I don't think there is any real trick.
Airing down to 15 lbs is a must, though.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Don't make sharp right angle turns it will cause the tire to plow the sand and you'll get stuck. Wide sweeping turns will help eliminate this, especially near beach entrances. Don't park too near the water, if you get stuck or truck won't start you'll be in big trouble when the tide comes in. Be sure to have the necessary equipment: tow rope, jack and jack board, shovel.
Check requirements when you get your beach pass.
Don't forget to gas up and air down. Watch for holes dug by people using the beach. If you're looking for birds and fish while driving you may run into one.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ok, posted on the Striped Bass Forum earlier, With some questions. I've got one more.
This coming weekend will be my first drive on the beach. Will my Tacoma 4 Cyl Auto be a dog out there?

·
Registered
99 Posts
NO, I have learned that steady progress and momentum are your friends and not horsepower and most important proper judgement.when in motion stay in motion-no sharp turns of any kind, stay in other people tracks they have matted the sand down for you-take airing down to fifteen pounds seriously because I did not at first!Do not park on any hills-learned that the hard way,Stay on level sand as much as possible.

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
yellowfin, i have a tacoma 4cyl it is just fine, i have no problems with it

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just started this year also and asked the same question.
A lot of help came my way, thanks to those who responded. I didn't see listed above "no breaking hard"
Come to gradual stops or you'll plow the snow. That was my biggest problem - I went out nervous and was breaking a lot at first. Then when I went to drive over the "humps", got no where, and spun.
I also take my standard explorer tires down to 12psi. Get yourself a dial psi gauge - it's better than $.99 stick style. You can pick one up from wal mart for $5.
After a few trips I got very comfortable - keeping your momentum is key.
Careful not to get "too comfortable" and always be on the look out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
One other trick from rally driving. If your wheels start to spin, step gently on the brake peddal. The motor will overcome the brake but the brakes will keep the wheel from spinning.

[ 11-09-2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Librarian ]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Don't park too close to the waters edge on the incoming.
I found in my old Wrangler that in real sand, I used low range and 2nd and 3rd gear. It would bog to a stop between 1st and 2nd while in high range. Air pressure is the biggest key to soft sand driving.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Its a lot warmer. ;)

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Yellowfin, I agree with CS. I also have an auto tacoma 4 cylinder. No problems on the sand. It is lighter than most trucks and does not get buried.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts