BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a G-50 or try one out? Pricey little lure, but seems like it may be effective. Would imagine you'd have to tow it with a 50 or 80.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We have used it up here. Looks fishy but has yet to catch for us up here and the lure shoots out of the water crazy and goes nuts when you get weed on the hooks. I have had success with the lure on the west coast and off mexico for a variety of species including tuna

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have used it up here. Looks fishy but has yet to catch for us up here and the lure shoots out of the water crazy and goes nuts when you get weed on the hooks. I have had success with the lure on the west coast and off mexico for a variety of species including tuna
By up here do you mean New England? Did you strip off the treble hooks and replace with singles? What reel do you run it with and what leader to you use?

·
Registered
542 Posts
We run the 40' Deep Mann Swimmer. It's not as big as the Gigantus, but is built as strong. It pulls a lot of drag, and seems to look good in the water.

So far, we haven't caught anything on it yet though.:(:(:(

I'll keep running it........just feels right.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I use the strech 50 to pull dredges down works great.For fishing the 18/30 was been very sucessful.

·
Registered
534 Posts
By up here do you mean New England? Did you strip off the treble hooks and replace with singles? What reel do you run it with and what leader to you use?
By up here I mean in the general region between the Carteret and West Atlantis, which is our realistic running range and the general area we fished most of this past season. The 50+ we have is rigged with two large double hooks which we have kept on the lure, which is atttached to an 8 foot length of 200lb Jinkai. We run the lure of a 50W LRS tiagra riggged with 130lb hoolw core spectra and short topshot. This outfit holds the lure no problem, although it does put quite a bit of strain on the rod.

Again, it Mexico off of the Revillagigedos this spring we crushed wahoo and 80lb class tuna on the 40 and 50 versions of this lure, but up here in the north east atlantic we have yet to get a bite.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I have not trolled the lure you mention, but I have had some very big fish
slam the Stretch 50.

First I use a meatstick type 80 class rod, with an unlimited swivel tip, with
an 80. I have hooked a Blue Marlin, Several Big Eye, and some yellowfin and Dolphin.

More often than not, it does it job hooking a fish, but when it gets hit with
no hook up, the fish usually moves up top into the bait spread.

So yes I like pulling them, as I think it helps raise fish on Slowww days.

Captn Joe

( for my customers out there - I no longer work for First Niagara Risk Management and my new contact info is below)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We have had good sucess in the past on the 20's and 30's for bluefin. We tend to troll fast so I would need to put out the 80's or the 130 for a S-50 but I can see how they would work they look good in the spread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts