BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to come up with a slightly more realistic Mantis pattern to suite my purposes for Flounder. What do you guys think of these?

·
Registered
160 Posts
My hat goes off to you for even trying, and that's as good as any I've seen. That's a profile that I gave up trying to emulate a long time ago. The ones we have in my area are kinda huge, fast, and evil (they're typically about 5-6" long, and if you happen to catch one for god's sake don't try to grab it). You see them under dock lights occasionally and that massive tail makes up about 75% of their profile.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My hat goes off to you for even trying, and that's as good as any I've seen. That's a profile that I gave up trying to emulate a long time ago. The ones we have in my area are kinda huge, fast, and evil (they're typically about 5-6" long, and if you happen to catch one for god's sake don't try to grab it). You see them under dock lights occasionally and that massive tail makes up about 75% of their profile.
Damnit Boy! Sounds like you have an infestation of those MML's a.k.a. Maine Mantis Lobster. :D I probably wouldn't even swim wherever you are, let alone try an grab one.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Looks good to me.If you don't mind me asking,Is the shell made from some kind of foam?I like your thinking out the box.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good to me.If you don't mind me asking,Is the shell made from some kind of foam?I like your thinking out the box.
I don't mind at all. Yes, its craft foam. You can get it at most craft stores and some tackle shops that carry fly tying materials may have it as well. It's not a new idea however, foam flies have been around as long as I can remember. I wish I did think of it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
With all do respect, I don't get it. A foam fly for flounder? (bottom dweller primarily) A floating fly to imitate a creature that rarely travels thru the water column but crawls across structure most of its existance. Mantis are crawling type shrimp. Not so much swimmers.

Capt Ray.....do you still have that articulated Mantis pattern I sent you about two years ago??? Post up a pic if you do please.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With all do respect, I don't get it. A foam fly for flounder? (bottom dweller primarily) A floating fly to imitate a creature that rarely travels thru the water column but crawls across structure most of its existance. Mantis are crawling type shrimp. Not so much swimmers.

Capt Ray.....do you still have that articulated Mantis pattern I sent you about two years ago??? Post up a pic if you do please.
I see where you are coming from, but you may notice the tail and how it is turned downward. This will cause the fly to dive when stripped. And in combination with a sinking line will more than likely hover just off the bottom.

With all due respect, I fish multiple other patterns that are also made of foam that I've caught suprisingly large amounts of flounder on. Craft foam isn't the most buoyant stuff in the world. Don't knock it till you've tried it.:naughty:

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Hmmmmmmm, those who know me on the board and have for quite a few years now will be cognizant of the vast quantity of restraint I'm exibiting by merely saying, OK. I would normaly elaborate but I have to run out right now to the craft store and pick up some fly tying materials. Bubble wrap, craft foam and balsa wood.
I'm anxious to try that there craft foam. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I don't mind at all. Yes, its craft foam. You can get it at most craft stores and some tackle shops that carry fly tying materials may have it as well. It's not a new idea however, foam flies have been around as long as I can remember. I wish I did think of it.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply.I think for the way I fish for flounder(not with a fly rod yet)This might just add something else to use.I've been trying teasers for about 2 yrs now and am interested in learing as much as I can.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
77,603 Posts
Always a cool visit to this forum. I hope to try some fly fishing someday… when I have more time.
Great job :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Great looking pattern John. When are you coming down? Would be nice if we could meet. Easy on the bubble wrap. :)

Shrotttz Good looking flies & hope they work for you. Mor pics please.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Either stomatopods in your area play by different rules, or you're not talking about what you think you're talking about.
I quote, " Mantis shrimp live in burrows in the mud or sand, or in coral cavities. Though the main form of transportation is running or scurrying along the sea floor, they can also swim."

That's from a university study. I'm not saying that stromatopods can't or don't swim. Merely that their typical mode of locomotion is walking/crawling along the sea floor. Being a burrowing animal, it makes sense. I've seen many crawling about but can count on one hand the times I've seen them swimming.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I quote, " Mantis shrimp live in burrows in the mud or sand, or in coral cavities. Though the main form of transportation is running or scurrying along the sea floor, they can also swim."

That's from a university study. I'm not saying that stromatopods can't or don't swim. Merely that their typical mode of locomotion is walking/crawling along the sea floor. Being a burrowing animal, it makes sense. I've seen many crawling about but can count on one hand the times I've seen them swimming.

Crabs and shrimp are burrowing animals, are you going to tell me they don't swim either? You'll find them on any given night in the spring/summer under any lit dock in my area. Snook love them. I'd love to know how you spot them crawling.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I am not much of a buggy whipper (fly fisherman):D.....but I dabble in it a bit, I think some of the bigger cray fish patterns would be deadly on flounder......when I was a teen ager and tying flies.....I tied a few cray fish patterns on 1/8 oz jig heads to cast to small mouth with ultra light spinning tackle.....those rigs caught smallmouth like it was going out of style......If I was tying a mantis shrimp pattern it would be a cray fish pattern on steroids:D

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Crabs and shrimp are burrowing animals, are you going to tell me they don't swim either? You'll find them on any given night in the spring/summer under any lit dock in my area. Snook love them. I'd love to know how you spot them crawling.
What are you OL' and blind. Read the F'n post. I"ll hook ya up. Although they can and do swim!!!!!! Their main form of locomotion is "crawling and scurrying across the sea floor". I've seen them crawling and scurrying across the bottom and in coral when I've been scuba diving and snorkleing in Florida, the islands and the rocks and back bays in Jersey.
So, you see, I admit they can and do swim, they spend far more time on the bottom than in the upper part of the water column. Particularly in the daylight hours which is far more likely when Shrotz will be drifting for flat fish.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ohh goodie!! :fighting:

Wait, got beer, got popcorn . . .

Man I need to drop by more often

LLLaaadieeesss and GGGentleman in this corner, tying professionally for (don't know the number but it's a lot) years, Flyguy784 :bow:

And in this corner the challenger!!! :wave:

DING DING!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
What are you OL' and blind. Read the F'n post. I"ll hook ya up. Although they can and do swim!!!!!! Their main form of locomotion is "crawling and scurrying across the sea floor". I've seen them crawling and scurrying across the bottom and in coral when I've been scuba diving and snorkleing in Florida, the islands and the rocks and back bays in Jersey.
So, you see, I admit they can and do swim, they spend far more time on the bottom than in the upper part of the water column. Particularly in the daylight hours which is far more likely when Shrotz will be drifting for flat fish.

You think I'm spotting them under dock lights in the daytime brainiac? Read my f'n post.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Great looking pattern John. When are you coming down? Would be nice if we could meet. Easy on the bubble wrap. :)

Shrotttz Good looking flies & hope they work for you. Mor pics please.
Good morning Ron. I do like the pattern, the "Electric Dread". It's a little bit of a PIA to tie, quite a few different materials if you tie it "to spec". The creator claims it's caught all the targeted species in Biscayne bay. I'm tying some in various sizes for the trip. It's a shrimpy looking, suspending pattern. How could it not work. As you I'm sure are aware. In the keys, it's the different fly that oft times triggers strikes. Especially those well educated bones you have.

This years trip, contrary to last years, will lend itself nicely to a get together. Last years remote location and the fact that we were on the water via anchored "mother ship" our big houseboat, the winds etc. didn't.

This year, we'll be arriving on May 12th. Leaving here on the 11th and towing my boat down. It'll be my son Brad, Fred (VF fishead) Aaron (ZAP) another friend Dave and me. We're renting a house on the Lagoon/canal system behind Marathon airport. We've rented back there many times, easy access to the back, 7 mile bridge, and an easy run to the reef edge. We'll be leaving Marathon on May 22, around noon to return. Plenty of time to meet up.
I'm very excited about this trip Ron. I've fished for many years with these guys and all but my son, have never been to the Keys. I intend to try and show them everything. Mahi, bones, permit and most importantly TARPON. I also intend to take them up to the drainage canal above Largo for a shot at the Peacock Bass. I've done well on them up there. A trip or two to the glades at Flamingo is another "must do". I believe that period in May is the best time to be in the Keys. It's always been my best time. Fish wise and weather wise. Been "blown out" down there too many times at other times of year.
The crew is VERY excited as you might imagine. Jeeeze, Fred got a pair of wadeing shoes, sun gloves and a buff for Christmas. Aarons already bought a new rod and is tying up his arsenal and it's what, 4 months away. Oh well, good for them. Wouldn't want to see them any other way.

I'll post more as things mature. Oh, check out the creator of the "Electric Dread's" blue crab pattern. I intend to have plenty of those for the channel behind the Bahia Honda bridge this year. Tarpon were eating crabs like popcorn at a movie theater in there last April. OK OK, I'm very excited as well, I admit it. How could you not be. :D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts