BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bass we've been cleaning all have mantis shrimp in them. Yesterday I cleaned a 26in. fish absolutly gorged with mantis shrimp about 4 inches long.

You can't live line mantis shrimp cause you can't get 'em, can you? Besides, they'll split your thumb in half.
What do we have out there that mimics a mantis?

I'm thinking crawfish. Shipped from Louisianna.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Mr. C,

I cleaned a couple bass last night that were stuffed with mantis shrimp, some were big 5" mantis shrimp. I was thinking of saving a few of the ones in better shape and trying them.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Fresh raw shrimp (larger sizes) via the supermarket ;) . Riging them to run true is trial & error though. Should it not pass as a mantis....it'll dam sure pass as a shrimp..GULP.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
a well presented bucktail bounce on the bottom will minic a manta,key is to bounce and drop back
white, bubblegum work best with a 4 or 6" twister tail -SLOW-SLOW SLOW

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Mike,why don`t you Chocolate coat a couple of them Bad Boys,Biggest will try em :D :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

They are a favorite with both Bass and Weakies
in the BackBays,I have caught alot of fish
thru-out the year with them on their diet...
I always felt the BubbleGum
SaltySuperFluke Mimicked A Mantis Shrimp,when
worked properly like Bucktail Willie Mentioned..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Can't be caught, can't be bought.Tried using fresh dead ones from fish bellies, I mean still twitchin, don't think they can be presented right on a hook and drifted.Maybe anchored and drifted back ?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HOW MUCH YA THINK CHUNKING COULD GET FOR LIVE MANTIS?

I caught one in a cast net last year and threw it back. Saw a documentry on them where they can split your finger in half and they can't be kept in glass aquarium 'cause they can break the glass. Mean lil suckers but obviously a very important part of stripers and flounder diet.

The boys at Storm Lures come up with something......I'll buy it.

ps......I know somebody who got a 40lb bluefin chasing them birds 5-6 miles off GE....yesterday pm

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
its getting to that time when bluefin show up in all kinds of places heading south.does anyone know wherethe mantis mostly live.i guess i'll check with the picker also.everything eat them what do they eat besides finger???we'll give them badfinger.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
does anyone know where the mantis mostly live.
I would say in the backbays and ICW,thats
where I find Stripers feeding on them...

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
There are a lto in the Chessy. Someone posted a guy that was catching them and selling them as food. Maybe a search will show the post. A while back.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by candyman:

What do we have out there that mimics a mantis?

How About These ?

Any of you guys check out this NEW Bomber Lure.
Very Cool,

The Bomber Pop?N Shrimp is designed to be fished over shallow flats and grass beds, pop?n like a fleeing shrimp on the surface. Lifelike antennae and legs create a live shrimp profile that trout and redfish can?t resist. This lure is built with saltwater grade hooks and hardware to handle the punishment only saltwater fish can deliver

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
NS--SO YOU THINK THEY ARE HERE ALL YEAR
Yea, I would have to say for the most part..
I find them in the Spring and during this
time of the year also,whether or not they dig in
here during the winter or migrate out I am
just not sure though.....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.